Newsletter/Blog Subscription Frequency

Justin_Morris
Level 2

Newsletter/Blog Subscription Frequency

We have a team that wants to start sending per-post emails whenever one of their blog posts are published. We are currently sending a monthly digest to the list right now. Instead of just sending the per post emails to the list, we want to update the subscription center to allow people to opt in to whatever frequency they prefer. When typically asking frequency (monthly or weekly), should we allow a subscriber to select both or only one? The concern of allowing them to select both is that they would get duplicate content. But I am having a difficult time finding best practices or a preference center example that doesn't allow people to multi-select frequency. We're having a difficult time coming to a consensus on this so any insight, examples, or best practices would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Newsletter/Blog Subscription Frequency

Monthly or weekly IMNSHO. Not both. Maybe people don't understand radio buttons.

Justin_Morris
Level 2

Well, the issue is, if we go the radio button route, we'll have to create a new field and do some development on our end on our preference center - it's quite a custom design. Because there would need to be an initial checkbox to make the radio buttons show up because if it's just radio buttons then people will not be able to remove that preference. We're entertaining the idea of just having two checkboxes with javascript that only allows one to be checked - that would solve a lot of the backend issues but may not be the best experience. 

Justin_Morris
Level 2

I suppose we could have three radio buttons with one being "none" - it's just that we have 5 different newsletter options and this one is the only with this issue/option. So it's a bit of an eye sore design-wise. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm sure you can work out a pleasing UX. Nothing wrong with one newsletter having advanced options, that's a feature!