SOLVED

Need a clear explanation of Champion vs Challenger testing in default program trigger campaigns

Go to solution
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Need a clear explanation of Champion vs Challenger testing in default program trigger campaigns

Hi All,

I am in need of a clear explanation of how champion vs challenger testing actually functions when only one person is added to a trigger campaign at once so there for only one email will go out at once.  I am largely unclear on how the distribution works if only one email goes out at a time.  I have searched the community but I am struggling for clarity on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Need a clear explanation of Champion vs Challenger testing in default program trigger campaigns

Only one email goes out at a time, but based on the distribution you set, future folks who trigger that campaign may get a "challenger" instead of the champion. In other words you can leave the champion/challenger test enabled forever and Marketo will send out different variations to different people who trigger the campaign based on your criteria.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Need a clear explanation of Champion vs Challenger testing in default program trigger campaigns

Only one email goes out at a time, but based on the distribution you set, future folks who trigger that campaign may get a "challenger" instead of the champion. In other words you can leave the champion/challenger test enabled forever and Marketo will send out different variations to different people who trigger the campaign based on your criteria.

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Hi Justin,

1. I have two emails created and approved in a program named A/B Testing 2.Challenger and A/B Testing 2.Champion.
  2. I created the test group from the A/B Testing 2.Challenger email.
  3. I want to test these against each other with 50% of the people entering a smart campaign are receiving A/B Testing 2.Challenger and 50% are receiving A/B Testing 2.Champion.
  4. Is below how I would set this up?  For some reason when I have it set up like below and I go to approve the test I am Not Allowed because of this error Can not approve A/B Test - test is missing an email.  Do this mean that all the emails involved in your test group must be a challenger?
  5. Also what does 50% Receives Challengers and 50% Receives Champion really mean if I have not declared any champion?

pastedImage_0.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

4 - Have you 'Approved' the emails?

5 - Champion is just the original email in this case.

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

I have approved both emails.  That is why I am confused on all of this.  I have refreshed the page as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, strange. Hard to tell without actually clicking around. Couple things I would check:

- Have you defined Champion Settings?

- As strange as it is, I've had to delete the test and rebuild it. Have you tried just resetting up the test?

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Brent,

I have defined champion settings and have tried deleting the test and rebuilding it.  It is almost like I have to have more than one challenger...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Justin explained it perfectly. I typically will just explain it as a random sample model. Each time someone comes through Marketo randomly selects which email they receive.

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Hi Brent,

What are your thoughts on my reply above.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Are both emails inside the Test Group that is created once you create the Test? It has to be cloned INTO the test and I suspect that has not occurred based on your screenshot.