My Spam Blog

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

My Spam Blog

Even though I now have Blogging Rights, I can't blog anywhere but the Chicago User Group so I wanted to share this with all of you so you'll actually see it: https://nation.marketo.com/groups/chicago-user-group/blog/2016/06/16/spam-spam-spam-eggs-spam-spam-s...

Robb Barrett
15 REPLIES 15
Philip_Tieu
Level 5

Re: My Spam Blog

This is really useful! Thanks Robb!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent compilation of tips!

Colin_Mann
Level 5

Loved the Monty Python reference!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robb Barrett PRD​, I noticed under your screenshot for Probable SPAM traps that you may have missed a filter step.I set my smart list up the same way - clicked link in email min 3 times, not visited any webpage, not filled out any form - and it seemed to work.

Then I noticed one of my most ardent, loyal customers in the list. No way is that a SPAM trap. So I reevaluated and realized that there's a filter missing because this didn't take into account people from my CRM (added by sales) who are highly engaged through clicks that might not take them to my website (ex: a newsletter article that takes them to a partner site).

I added this filter and the number drastically reduced.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks for writing this, AWESOME blog post!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

... or anyone who just direct-downloads assets, since those don't result in a ​Visit Web Page ​activity.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

How did the names appear in the DB then?

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that's assuming that they received a link to content that was hosted outside of Marketo. In that case they click but they go to a PDF unrelated to Marketo.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Yeah, I just noticed this the other day when I was reviewing my process and I meant to update.  Thanks, I will soon.

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice!  I appreciate you posting this!