SOLVED

Multiple Leads to One Email - Designation for Email Sends Possible?

Go to solution
nhabischWings
Level 5

Multiple Leads to One Email - Designation for Email Sends Possible?

Morning!
Got an interesting scenario I'm curious on how to work around:

We've got the potential for multiple different leads tied to the same email address.

Working on changing the de-duplication to account for this by changing to:

1) Email Address

2) Customer Unique Identifier (random generated string assigned to each individual customer even if tied to same email)

Now, where my problem lies is with this scenario:

Let's say I have Bob and Sue Smith that are individual leads both tied to Bob.Smith@gmail.com. I've got two emails I am looking to send:

1) Account-specific email that needs to go to that email twice - 1 per individual account as Bob and Sue have separate accounts

2) A promo email that is generic and only needs to go once to that email as they don't need two copies of the same email

Can this sort of designation be done in the Smart List?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Multiple Leads to One Email - Designation for Email Sends Possible?

You can do it with a Member of Smart Campaign=Probable Duplicates and then Request Campaign. Gotta go to sleep but I'll show screenshots tomorrow.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi there!

That is indeed a tough scenario. The default approach for Marketo is actually your scenario 2, where Marketo will only send the email once. In order to make your scenario 1 work, I think will only ever work if you do it trigger based or with a manual work around to identify records that were missed because of deduplication and running them in a second smart campaign.

Do be aware that this scenario causes all sorts of issues with your activity log, as the cookie on the device of one person can bounce back and forth between your two Marketo records, depending on who clicks on the link in which email at which time. Take into account that this makes your clicking and web visit behaviour very unreliable.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can do it with a Member of Smart Campaign=Probable Duplicates and then Request Campaign. Gotta go to sleep but I'll show screenshots tomorrow.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

That was indeed the general gist of how I'd set up the manual work around. Probably indeed finish your flow with if member of smart list Possible Duplicates > Request Campaign and then in the second smart campaign use the trigger Campaign is Requested combined with email was not sent. Haven't tried this specific scenario yet, but it should work I'd say...

nhabischWings
Level 5

Awesome thank you both!

I'll have to do some testing when the change is complete, as I've got to see how exactly it builds the leads. Currently our API pushes in data and new leads daily - so with this change there will be a fair amount of new ones if the customer identifier prevents de-dupe deletion.

I will take a stab at the Request Campaign work-around. 🙂