Marketo sent old version of email

aglantz71
Level 2

Marketo sent old version of email

Hi there.

I made final changes to an email template, which I successfully approved and tested so that we confirmed the copy is up-to-date. After scheduling the email, the popup said that my email template wasn't approved, so I clicked Approved. The one and only internal person seeded on my list got an earlier version (incorrect) of the email, which I can't explain. Everything in Marketo shows the new correct template and when we conducted a live re-send, the email had the latest (correct) copy. 

Does anyone know how this happened, and is there any way for me to determine if the problem happened across the send without tracking down another live recipient? Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Marketo sent old version of email

I would go to Marketo Support with that.

And no, sorry, never experienced that. Approved the template and then got a message on scheduling that the template was not approved? Never seen that either. Sounds dangerous to me.

aglantz71
Level 2

Got it. Thank you!!

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hold on, let's make sure we are talking about the same thing here. Did you make changes to an email template (in Design Studio) and then send an email that was based on that template? Or did you edit an actual email and approve the changes and send it?

If you made changes to the template, it is expected behaviour that an email made previously using that template does not show the changes you made to the template, if the changes were in an editable area.

In the email, in an editable area, you normally would edit text, images and links to compile your email. As the template cannot distinguish which content is still based on the original template and which content has been edited, the email will not show the changes made to the template. The only way to achieve that is to remove the related module from your email and re-insert it.

If your changes were not in the template but in the email itself, I agree with Michael and it is definitely not normal.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

261d.png

aglantz71
Level 2

Thank you! Yes, thanks for the clarification - I'm talking about the email itself, not the template. I appreciate your response!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thank you! Yes, thanks for the clarification - I'm talking about the email itself, not the template. I appreciate your response!

So in your original post, did you mean “email” everywhere you said “template”?  This isn’t clear now.

aglantz71
Level 2

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, that is correct. Email, not template. Thanks!

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

In that case I stand by Michael's original response and you should definitely raise a ticket. That is not expected behaviour at all.