Re: Marketing Suspended and Operational Emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketing Suspended and Operational Emails

If a lead is marked as marketing suspended = true AND unsubscribed = true

and I send an operational email, will the lead receive that email?

I just want to confirm this is the case.
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in testing - even if the lead is part of marketing suspended and the email is operational and the lead is marked as unsubscribe the lead WILL get the email.

Anyone knoe a solution for leads that I never, ever, want to email? Should I just delete them from Marketo all together?

vthakkar
Level 1

It's a good practice to maintain a list/smartlist of people you wish to have in your red list and always use that as a suppression in all your campaigns. This keeps things simple!

It's a useful practice to have a smartlist with criteria for your unmarketable leads and do a suppression using that as well.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

While true, you can't enforce the use of a suppression list. So it's important that the behavior of the system fields be understood.

In any case, this thread is 8 years old! So not really an active source of best-practice info.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

unless I'm mistaken, operational emails go to EVERYBODY, even unsubscribers.
If you want to send some emails to everybody except unsubscribers, I would set a rule for those emails that overrides suspended status only. Something like if members of program + suspended, change data value to non supended, sent email and then change data value back to suspended.

Cécile
Albert_Lau
Community Manager

Hi Sierra,

Operational emails will still be sent to leads who are marked Unsubscribed or Marketing Suspended as this type of email is intended to be informational rather than marketing.

If you want to stop sending any emails to this lead, you're better off marking them Black Listed; these leads won't be sent any emails at all.

Check out our help article for more information: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KzcxCAC
Anonymous
Not applicable

Albert is right; Blacklisted is the way to go.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To skip them forever blacklisting works dandy.  But to be selective for a particular operational email, it's actually, much simpler to just add the ones you want to skip to the smartlist filter for an operational email campaign, rather than mess with column value shuffling.
So just add Unsubscribed or Mktng Suspended triggers as not equal to True (or the logical inverse, = False) in the campaign filters, that will cull them out.
Colleen_Jones
Level 2

I'm sending an operational email and it still says that 7 will be blocked from the mailing. I looked up each record and 5 are for spam filters and the other 2 are from unsubscribed emails. It doesn't appear that it's working as an operational emails. This email was cloned from a non-operational email and then I clicked the operational email box. Any suggestions?