Re: Managing the lead life cycle with multiple products

Jennifer_Braath
Level 2

Managing the lead life cycle with multiple products

I am looking for input and recommendations on best practices in lead life cycle strategy when there are multiple products/BU's being managed within 1 Marketo instance.

Traditional lead scoring and life cycle stages pose a challenge when a lead can show interest with different products and/or BU's within an organization.  For example, if we are promoting 4 completely different products or services within the same workspace, how should the lead life cycle stages be configured such that Marketing and Sales can clearly see what leads are in what stage by product/service, and their progression through the lead funnel?

Suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Definitely tricky Jennifer!

I would lean heavily on the CRM/Salesforce to manage lead lifecycle, because you can customize it to each BU with record types and roles.

Marketo should just act as a facilitator to move leads to different statuses based on activity.

For lead scoring, you can create BU specific scores. There are different posts I believe on this subject, but the main idea is that you categorize your campaigns and website pages, so that when a lead interacts with a certain type of content, then the specific BU score is adjusted.

Hope that helps!

Jennifer_Braath
Level 2

Thanks Darrell!

We are actually using the Dynamics CRM integration which is more limited than with Salesforce.

With that in mind, is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I see.

Dan Stevens​ may be able to offer some insight

David_Eldred
Level 2

Hi Jennifer:

We are in what sounds like a similar situation. Our CRM is not the DB of record (it's not Salesforce), so we upload a custom DB to Marketo and wish to use a multi-model Lead Scoring solution to track engagement across 12 different product lines.

I am curious what solution you settled upon? I have attached an image of the nurturing journey we have in mind and am curious how closely this may be to your vision for nurturing prospects along the path toward a specific product line?Multi-score.JPG

Jennifer_Braath
Level 2

Hi David,

You are further in the process than we are at the moment. We are still trying to determine our strategy for for tracking the buyer cycle across multiple brands and product lines.  Currently we have silo nurture programs in place for each product within each brand however I am sure this will evolve as our strategy comes together.

Thanks for sharing your progress and if you have any other findings to share throughout this process, please reach out.

Thanks!
Jennifer