Re: Landing page tokens not working?

Jason_Terrell
Level 3

Landing page tokens not working?

I have a landing page with a form.  I need to have it personalized to the lead.  But the personalized data doesn't need to be in the form itself.

Weirdly, although the documentation shows it should work, I can't get the landing page to show any of my tokens.

The sample email I sent myself has the button, which opens the landing page with the form.  The tokens are all blank, not even showing the "edit me" text.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Edit: also tested it with {{lead.Full Name:default=unknown}} and that shows as blank as well.

16 REPLIES 16
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Page URL?

Troubleshooting

• Not sure exactly what you are doing based on your description. If the lead is Anonymous, the tokens won't appear before the person fills out the form.
  • It's possible there's a Token Error.
  • It's possible to use the wrong token (which I did yesterday and that's why I always TEST).
  • It's possible the HTML was corrupted. I've seen the brackets not resolve correctly in Emails or Pages. Never sure why. You can resolve it by editing the html or erasing the token and typing it in again.
  • Check your test leads to see if the value is filled in for that lead. You can see which test record you are cookied with using Prefill form or just add {{lead.email address}} to the page.
Jason_Terrell
Level 3

I don't believe it's anonymous. The emails are to existing leads, and the landing page is to update some existing data for the lead.

I'm not sure what you mean by anonymous though.

The tokens are working.  I'm using them in the email before the user clicks on the button that takes them to the landing page.

I'm not sure what you mean by the wrong token either.  I'm using tokens from the drop down when I edit the landing page.  (clicking on the Insert Token button, pick from the drop down.)

I'm not sure how the html would be corrupted. I'm not building the html myself but just using a marketo template.

The tokens show the data in the email.  The link in the button to the email goes to http://go.xpresstaxappeals.com/ZWL0200Z60000000w40fMZA

property update test

Josh_Hill13

Couple of issues.

• You posted the branded tracking link for you. Always provide an unwrapped url
  • http://pages.xpresstaxappeals.com/HEX-Refund-Master_Update-Property-test.html
  • You are using the local token {{my.Purchase Year}} which wouldn't fill in correctly for a Person, but since it didn't resolve, I wonder if there's a coding problem. Try that fix I mentioned.
  • I did see "unknown" under that which is related to some default token since i am anonymous to your system now.
  • I would avoid using Personalized tokens on pages where you aren't sure if the person is Known Lead; or only use them after the Form Fill.
  • Given some of the private nature of the data you are asking for, I would strongly suggest moving to SSL on Marketo pages or not doing this via Marketo.
  • You can post a ticket to Support if you cannot get the token to resolve for a Known Lead.
Jason_Terrell
Level 3

• I would avoid using Personalized tokens on pages where you aren't sure if the person is Known Lead; or only use them after the Form Fill.

They are all known leads.  I'm not even sure how one would use an unknown lead in an email.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Josh means a page that is also published to the outside world.

Dan_Stevens_

As you're testing this, are you sending the email out as part of a test smart campaign?  Or as a test/sample?  You'll want to use the former since tokens are involved.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

+1 Dan

Never use Send Sample to test tokens. Use a real email.

Jason_Terrell
Level 3

a test/sample.  I'll give it a shot in a smart campaign.  Thanks.

Jason_Terrell
Level 3

Dan Stevens wrote:

As you're testing this, are you sending the email out as part of a test smart campaign? Or as a test/sample? You'll want to use the former since tokens are involved.

I just tested this with a smart campaign instead of a sample email.  It still doesn't use the token values.