Re: Issue with Select list, visibility rules, and having multiple values

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with Select list, visibility rules, and having multiple values

Hello,

I am having an issue with a form that we need to lchange the default value of "Select..." on certian Countries. 

Here is the senario:

We are doing a simple country visibility rule. when the user selects their country (United States, Canada) only that countries states/provinces display.

I need to update the label "Select..." that appears in the select box for certian countries. Unfortunetly it does not work.

What I have been able to figure out thus far is this:

You have your master picklist that you put together prior to choosing your visibility rules. 

0EM50000000SQuX.jpg

In this section you can change the "Select..." to what ever you want.

Then you go into the visbility rules and change the vaule from "Select..." to lets say "Select Your Province..." for Canada. When you fill out the form and select Canada, a blank field shows up as it does not match the default which was chosen in the master picklist vaules "Select..."

0EM50000000SQuc.jpg

Here is  an example of three forms on it. the forst form is standard, second form changes the default text, and the third is left default except when you choose Canada. 

http://info.equinix.com/blanktesttest.html

0EM50000000SQuh.jpg

Any help would be very helpful. 

-AF
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Natali_Talevski
Level 4

Hi Anthony,

Have you tried adding "Select your Province" just before the Canadian states in your master? I've found that anything that is in my master list will show up when I then specify visibility rules.

Natali
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly this does not fix the problem. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why not just use "Select State/Province" ?
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a global form. I am only using province as an example. This is what it would need to look like if I did this suggestion. 

"Select Your State/Province/Region/Canton/Emirate/Country"

I do not think that is very professional.

I am confused why this is even an issue. Am I the first person who has used Marketo that needs this functionality? Is this truly an issue with Marketo??????
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about this: leave the Select field as is and change the field name to State or Province so it looks like this:

0EM50000000SRAx.jpg

or

0EM50000000SRB2.jpg
or

0EM50000000SRB7.jpg

I'm thinking this is why they put in the ability to change the field name and it still seems professional to me AND it is personalized/localized to that region which really shows you bumped the lamp .

Hope this solves your problem.
Rodney
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree with you as well. Unfortunately the way our forms are designed we remove the field labels. All identifying info is located in the field not next to it. 

I am thinking Marketo designed it this way, which is unfortunate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a bug and I have been trying to find a solution. Inline text gets erased somehow when there are visibility rules. I cant even set the text with jQuery.

Did you ever find a workaround?

Update - this is working for my simple need:

I configured visibility rules to default to show state field and make it hide if any country is selected besides US

the first option has to be "state:" so it shows up

you could add a listener and switch which option has the selected="selected" attribute based on which country, but at that point you might as well just write your own visibility logic.

timeout is because I am embedding the marketo form

<script>

setTimeout(function(){

jQuery("#State option:first").attr('selected','selected');

}, 6000);

</script>

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hmm, you should never use timeouts to (attempt to) predict call order in an asynchronous environment.  It's bad programming practice and destined to fail.

Forms 2.0 includes a robust event API that's designed to eliminate the "likely call order" antipattern and race conditions.  If you want to do something after an embedded form is ready, just do it in an onReady listener (the 4th argument to MktoForms2.loadForm).  The form element is guaranteed to be in the DOM at the time it is called.

P.S. No reason to use jQuery to set the selected index: the Forms 2.0 method form.setValues() exists for this purpose.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

By the way, while there are many ways to skin this cat, one simple way is to add all your states/provinces/cantons to the same list, prefixing each with the country name:

pastedImage_2.png

This list becomes the template from which you draw or discard elements. Working with SELECTs is much easier when you maintain an out-of-band template element like this.

Then use some boilerplate to populate the live SELECT from the template as needed: CodePen - MktoForms2 :: Dependent Country-State/Province