Re: Is there such thing as Email Campaign Archives Page?

Nejka_McGeachie
Level 2

Is there such thing as Email Campaign Archives Page?

Hi guys,

I got a business request from one of the teams who used to be with mailchimp and we migrated them to marketo. They used to have a page with all email campaigns sent for people to browse through old emails.  When you send email through Mailchimp, it automatically creates a browser-based copy of the campaigns and a free, shareable archive page of  most recent campaigns. You can limit parts of the copy that shouldn't be shared. 

More here: Mailchimp does this (About Email Campaign Archives and Pages | Mailchimp)

How can I do that in marketo? I have the feeling I can't but I hate when mailchimp wins over marketo as with so many recent issues with Adobe, I can't afford not being able to solve business problems! Any suggestions? I know you used to be able to share "View in browser" links and you can't anymore so what other options do we have?

Thanks a lot.

Nejka

11 REPLIES 11
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Marketo doesn't have this feature OOTB, and you'd have to build something custom to be able to pull this off in Marketo. If you just want performance data you can create a campaign/program/email performance report to share the performance of your campaigns within a timeframe (say in the past week/month/custom date range filter, etc). These reports include the performance metrics of your recent campaigns, however, they don't include email copy/content that was sent to people, unlike MailChimp. You can of course use Marketo's Send Test functionality or use a campaign with the Send Email flow step to send the test emails to your internal seed list.

Nejka_McGeachie
Level 2

It's not really for reporting, they want to have a page where their customers can browse through old emails and read them - they do a lot of educational emails which I can see would appeal to people to browse through...

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There’s no equivalent feature in Marketo.

You can build something like it by including an email processing service (AWS SES or many other equivs) in a send, saving the received HTML to a db, and serving it up on the web. Obviously takes considerable developer chops.

Nejka_McGeachie
Level 2

Thanks a lot for confirming... I thought so...hmmmm. They won't be happy with me!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can frame it as “buildable via the API” (which is broadly true) and figure out a budget. 😉

But there are good reasons a platform like Marketo wouldn’t have a “newsletter archive” as a first-class feature — the deep levels of personalization being one.

Katja_Keesom

I have actually seen the Mailchimp feature and I would say the hyperlink to the emails that is in the email performance report fulfills much the same task. The email performance report shows which emails had activity in the given timeframe and each email shown is a hyperlink that actually opens the email when clicked. The UI is a little less easy than Mailchimp with the names of the emails containing the program name, but I think it comes pretty close.

Nejka_McGeachie
Level 2

Hmmm, but an external person can't click on that and view the email, it opens within marketo.... We need a solution where an external person can click and view old emails if that makes sense...

Katja_Keesom

In that case I am also out of suggestions for out of the box functionality...

Navkirandeora
Level 2

Yes, it is possible to create an email campaign archives page in Marketo, although the process may differ from the one in Mailchimp. Marketo provides several features and options that can help you achieve a similar result.

Here are some suggestions on how you can create an email campaign archives page in Marketo:

1. Landing Page: Create a landing page in Marketo where you can showcase and organize your email campaign archives. You can design the landing page to display links or previews of the archived campaigns.

2. Asset Library: Use Marketo's Asset Library to store and organize your email campaigns. You can upload the HTML or images of your past email campaigns as assets, and then create links or thumbnails on the landing page to access them.

3. Dynamic Content: If you want to limit parts of the email campaign copy that shouldn't be shared, you can use Marketo's dynamic content feature. This allows you to personalize the content based on various criteria, such as recipient segments or user preferences.

4. Smart Lists and Segmentation: Marketo allows you to create smart lists and segment your audience based on different attributes. You can use this feature to categorize your email campaigns and provide filtering options on the archives page, making it easier for people to browse through specific campaigns.

5. Email Templates: Create a standardized template for your email campaigns in Marketo. This can help maintain consistency and make it easier to organize and navigate through past campaigns.

While Marketo may not have the exact same "View in browser" feature as Mailchimp, you can still provide a link within the email itself to a landing page or archive page where recipients can view the campaign in their browser.

It's important to explore the specific capabilities and features of Marketo that are available to you, as they may vary depending on your subscription plan and configuration. Consulting Marketo's documentation or reaching out to their support team can provide further guidance and assistance tailored to your specific needs.

Navkiran