Integrating with Tableau

Diederik_Marte4
Level 6

Re: Integrating with Tableau

Hi, We're developing a custom environment right now.
6x Marketo Champion | Marketo Certified Solutions Architect (MCSA) | Marketo User Group Leader | International Speaker on Marketing Technology
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm investigating the RSSBUS ODBC drivers for Marketo in conjuction with PowerPivot. In theory this can be connected to Tableau using the OData data source. I'll report back when I'm further in the eval.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We continue to manually export out of Marketo and into Tableau.

Thanks,
Sierra
Anonymous
Not applicable

We use Tableau internally here.  We are currently investigating a couple of products to help us navigate the Marketo API and its limitations.  We are investigating Informatica and Jitterbit.

An integration with Tableau would be wonderful.  I wonder why Marketo chose Microsoft Power BI to build an integration? 

Getting data out of Marketo has been a continual source of frustration where I am.  Its a shame that we are going to have to spend extra money to get our data out, but I will be happy if one of these tools works.  It is so frustrating that I have to export to excel and then manually add to Tableau.  

Diederik_Marte4
Level 6

I now use a method for all data we need to export.

1. I have set up a static list in Marketo
2. I have a batch campaign that removes everyone from that list everyday at 9pm.
3. I have a batch campaign that adds new people to the list everyday at 10pm.
4. We have a script in our data ware house with ReST API to get all leads from the static list and with that selecting the fields we need (http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/rest/get-multiple-leads-by-list-id/). This script runs daily at 11pm.

The batch campaign has a smartlist that is based on ANY. And every filter is "Data Value Changed in past 30 hours". This for every field we export. And there is a "lead was created in past 30 hours). This allows the ReST API script to only exstract the new records and updated records. Obviously we did a one-time export to get started.

This method works pretty well for us, as the reporting is high-level and a daily update is sufficient.
6x Marketo Champion | Marketo Certified Solutions Architect (MCSA) | Marketo User Group Leader | International Speaker on Marketing Technology
Anonymous
Not applicable

-- Update from Marketo Summit --

It seems that Informatica has the capability to quasi-automate this process. Their 'Cloud' product can turn the Marketo reports into TDE files, which Tableau reads as an extract. In theory, refreshing all extracts would refresh the reports quite simply.

I have yet to engage them on pricing, but I imagine a reasonable cost is worth it to eliminate the headache of manually refreshing reports every week.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  Our business also has informatica cloud.  Have you seen it work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenn - I have not seen it work. Their reps were extremely unhelpful and I decided to give up on them. I actually fixed most of my problem by using a VBA script in Outlook to move all the attached files into a Dropbox folder, then had an engineer write a Bash script to trim the file names, save as CSV, and move them to my Workbooks folder. I just have to run the script in Terminal and refresh my extracts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brendon thats a good steer.  I'll save myself some time - and follow your solution.

So if i understand you right, the first step was setting up analytics report subscriptions with attachments, then pick the steps you describe?

Nice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly right. When you're dealing with 40 some-odd reports, it will save a ton of time.