Tableau Rest API and Marketo

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

Tableau Rest API and Marketo

Hi

We  have just linked up Marketo and Tableau via the REST API.

How are the calls made is it per record every time a query is refreshed?

Sarah

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tableau Rest API and Marketo

If I understand your question.  The calls are typically made in batch.  and each call can access up to 300 Marketo records per send.

Does that make sense to you, or are you asking something else?

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

I am asking this because I think that the Rest API calls are metered by Marketo and trying to figure if this method of connection will easily take us over the metered amount or wether we should use an ODBC connection. Our database is around 100k.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

This question is probably better posed to tableau, since they control the connector and know how it uses API calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

From http://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/

• Daily Quota: Most subscriptions are allocated 10,000 API calls per day (which resets daily at 12:00AM CST).  You can increase your daily quota through your account manager.
  • Rate Limit: API access per instance limited to 100 calls per 20 seconds.
  • Concurrency Limit:  Maximum of 10 concurrent API calls.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Sarah, did you ever get any answers from Tableau? It would be great to know how the API calls are utilized since we're already over our limit.

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

Our Tableau developer decided to opt for calling the data once a day. So tableau can pull in individual tables in 1 API call and then join them together in Tableau for interrogation.  A live API connection to Marketo where each interaction in tableau would be 1 API call. Or so I'm told

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hmm, thanks for our feedback. I connected Tableau yesterday, and granted we tried to do quite a few things, but we ended up with 102 API calls after a 1 hour meeting. We have a 660k record db which might change things a little bit, but I can see how it might creep upwards quickly.

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

But aren’t there 2 connection methods? One live and one which will pull down a copy of the file and then you can refresh it when you want? The live connection will rack up the API calls but pulling down the static file should be one call?

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

I'll have to connect with our Tableau guy and find out. I guess we were pulling live.