Integrating with Tableau

Anonymous
Not applicable

Integrating with Tableau

We have selected Tableau for our reporting needs. I am curious if anyone is using Tableau internally and if so, how are you moving the Marketo data over to Tableau. We want to have raw data, not data that has passed through a 3rd party app (like SFDC). Our goal is to be able to slice and dice within Tableau.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
34 REPLIES 34
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Integrating with Tableau

Are you not able to use the API integration or a connector into Marketo?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently, we do not have a direct integration with Tableau. You would have to manually export from Marketo, then upload to Tableau. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any indirect integration with Tableau via informatica cloud or the like?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manual exporting is not an option for data ware house. I'm now investigating two tools, mentioned in this post:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PwHQAA0. But there most definitly should be a direct connection possible. ODBC or support XML in ReST. And in ReST don't limit the filter on 1000.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Murtza - is a Tableau connector in the roadmap anywhere? Reporting that should take me 30 mins takes a day because of the lack of direct integration between the two.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brendon, I agree this is not a great experience.

It is on the roadmap to have an API that would allow for large-volume data extraction, which would then enable a Tableau connector. But there is no definite timeline. 

In the mean time, a solution similar to Tableau is Microsoft Power BI. We recently released an integration with Power BI:
http://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/462795-marketo
Jonathan_Ng2
Level 3

We're giving PowerBI a shot, but we can't get the integration to work.  We've increased our API count, but the import still fails.  We can get to the point where the data attempts to load, but it then fails shortly thereafter.  Do you have any tips, or ideas why it could be failing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Murtza Power BI is not an alternative for me as we've committed to using Tableau for visualization. Can you confirm that the large-volume data extraction has been assigned to a release? I don't need to know which release it is, but that would at least give us an idea of roughly when we can expect it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sierra S and @Diederik - did any of you make a decision on which tools to use to connect Marketo data and Tableau?