Re: Importing list without emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing list without emails

Hi Marketo folks,

We have a list that does not include emails.  What is the best way to deal with this situation as we do not want duplication?  How do you handle?

I can think of two options:
1.  we upload the list in Marketo and pull a de-dupe later after we get the emails entered
2.  or we have our team add the emails to the spreadsheet first before uploading (too much manual effort?)

Cheers!
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can import these, but they won't be deduped.

1. manually fix later.
  2. use ringlead to automate this as the new emails come in.
  3. manually fix before import, but this is painful. don't bother because it won't affect tracking of leads until they have an email or get merged with their email addressed record.
Tara_Petre
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Hi Feather, 

What action are you hoping to take on these leads now?  Do you have phone number or other contact level information that you will be using to contact them?

I'd recommend not importing the list until you have email addresses and refrain from importing those who still do not have email address.  

If you're set on importing the leads without email addresses, know that since marketo automatically dedupes on email address they won't be deduped, as Josh mentioned.

You can change the smart list on your possible duplicates smart list to say 'duplicate fields, field name is, full name.  Just be careful when deduping off of that list since there are many common names that may appear to be duplicates.  You may also add a filter 'email address is empty' if you know all the leads you want to dedupe off of full name do not have an email address. 

Thanks,
Tara
Rachel_Egan
Level 7

We have this same issue. Basically, we want to have the people in our system so that we can attribute them to our Marketing efforts (with Acquisition Program, Lead Source and Lead Source Detail) but we aren't quite sure how to manage them until we have their email.

I will look into Ringlead, but I'm also open to other ideas as well!