SOLVED

Re: How to update unsubscribe link in email templates?

Go to solution
Maha89
Level 2

How to update unsubscribe link in email templates?

Hello everyone! 

I would like to update the snippet in our email templates with 2 new links: 

- The lead will have the option to either  {Update your preferences} > New form and a new WordPress LP. 

- The lead will also have the option to directly unsubscribe > New form and a new WordPress LP. 

Now, what's the easier option to do that? I did read this article here, but I don't think it's updated. 

For now, we only have one Marketo LP for both options, this is how the HTML looks like, so this means that it needs to be changed in the Admin section under Email? 

<div class="body-text">This email was sent to <a href="{{lead.Email Address}}" target="_blank" style="text-decoration:underline; font-weight:600; color:#404040;">{{lead.Email Address}}</a>. We only want to send you the information you care about. Update your email preferences or <a href="{{system.unsubscribeLink}}" target="_blank" style="text-decoration:underline; font-weight:600; color:#404040;">unsubscribe</a> at any time.</div> 

Here to learn
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Ahh, apologies - I guess your earlier post may have slipped through the cracks!

If you replace the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token with the custom unsubscribe and manage preferences links in your email template, you'd need to clear out the Unsubscribe HTML and Text in the Admin > Email section as without the  {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token in your email, Marketo will include the default Unsub content Admin > Email section.

To answer your 2nd Q - Although, you can pull something of that sort using a trigger smart campaign with a "Clicks XYZ link in email" trigger in the smart list and updating the "Unsubscribed" field to True in the flow easily. However, I'd not recommend unsubscribing people on a "Click Link" activity as links can very well be clicked by bots/email scanners, leading to a false positive and making them unsubscribed in your database without them actually clicking the Unsubscribe link.

View solution in original post

Katja_Keesom

If you include two simple parameters in your url to your custom unsubscribe page, Marketo will still recognize it as an unsubscribe activity and recognize the click as an unsubscribe in your email performance reports. Simply add ?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK## to your url.

In addition, there is an argument to be made for using a Marketo landing page for this purpose rather than a Wordpress one, as the form will (more easily) prepopulate with the user's current subscription settings and save them filling out stuff you already know.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1

Well, you can either update the Unsubscribe HTML in the Admin > Email section so that it has and links to the pages you wish, or remove the contents of the default Unsub HTML and create the custom Manage preferences block/module in the email template itself.

Also, the default {{system.unsubscribeLink}} system token would always link to the https://<instance-CNAME>/UnsubscribePage.html, you can replace the system token with the URL of the new Unsub page or setup a redirection rule to redirect the UnsubscribePage.html to the new Unsubscribe page.

Maha89
Level 2

If I update the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} in the email templates, do I need to delete whatever is in the Admin > Email section?  

Also, I will need another link for Update preferences. Do I need to create a new system token for that, or is it something that I can find in the Admin section? @Darshil_Shah1 

Here to learn
Maha89
Level 2

@Darshil_Shah1 

Did you get a chance to see my response above?  

I also have another follow-up question, if I want to instantly unsubscribe a lead from a specific type of email for example ( Content and Education ) and instantly do that from an email by clicking a link, is that possible in Marketo?  

For example, the text will be:  If you'd like to unsubscribe from content and education emails, click here ( this CTA will instantly uncheck a custom field in Marketo) Is that possible to do in Marketo?

Here to learn
Darshil_Shah1

Ahh, apologies - I guess your earlier post may have slipped through the cracks!

If you replace the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token with the custom unsubscribe and manage preferences links in your email template, you'd need to clear out the Unsubscribe HTML and Text in the Admin > Email section as without the  {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token in your email, Marketo will include the default Unsub content Admin > Email section.

To answer your 2nd Q - Although, you can pull something of that sort using a trigger smart campaign with a "Clicks XYZ link in email" trigger in the smart list and updating the "Unsubscribed" field to True in the flow easily. However, I'd not recommend unsubscribing people on a "Click Link" activity as links can very well be clicked by bots/email scanners, leading to a false positive and making them unsubscribed in your database without them actually clicking the Unsubscribe link.

Katja_Keesom

If you include two simple parameters in your url to your custom unsubscribe page, Marketo will still recognize it as an unsubscribe activity and recognize the click as an unsubscribe in your email performance reports. Simply add ?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK## to your url.

In addition, there is an argument to be made for using a Marketo landing page for this purpose rather than a Wordpress one, as the form will (more easily) prepopulate with the user's current subscription settings and save them filling out stuff you already know.

Disha_Goyal6
Level 3

Hi @maha,

Yes, we can do this change in Admin section.

Also, we can add the direct link at  the email level and then, we can add unsubscribe token like this

<div style="font-size:1px; line-height:1px;"><a href="{{system.unsubscribeLink}}" style="color:transparent;">Unsubscribe</a></div>

In this way,  your default unsubscribe text will not show and you can add your custom text.

Thanks,

Disha

Darshil_Shah1

Although, including the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} would be enough for Marketo to not include the default Unsubscribe HTML in the email, but it may not solve the problem that, @Maha89 is trying to address here. Per the original ask of the OP, they have a custom Unsub page, and {{system.unsubscribeLink}} would not point to their custom Unsub page unless there is a redirect rule created for the same. Like I said in my previous comment, the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} always points to the /UnsubscribePage.html.