Re: How do you manage a marketo cleanup with CRM

Christian_Tovar
Level 3

How do you manage a marketo cleanup with CRM

Hello,

Our database is long overdue a cleanup but because of our CRM we haven't been able to make this happen. A big concern for our CRM admin is managing the previous unsubs. How do you manage your cleanup while making sure you're still adhering to all the unsubs?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Bryan_Epstein
Level 6

I am not sure what CRM you are using, but there are plenty of partners that can assist with data cleansing, de-duplication, data enrichment and the like. A few of these that I am aware of that are used are Reachforce, RingLead, Zoom Info and Dun & Bradstreet. These would have integrations with both Salesforce and Marketo, and I presume that they would also have integrations with MS Dynamics.

You can get more feedback from these vendors to better understand how they can help with your data. Usually, you will be able to send a sample of your data to these companies to get an idea for how well they can help with the data cleanse and enrichment.

Christian_Tovar
Level 3

Hi,

We use SFDC and are going to use a partner to help us clean that side of our data. However, there is a concern that if we delete people who have unsubscribed we're not adhering to email rules and regs. So I'm wondering how people go about that.

Bryan_Epstein
Level 6

Caitlin mentioned that there is the durable unsubscribe, which would help to solve for that issue within Marketo. Will you also be keeping or removing those people from SFDC? If you are planning to keep them into SFDC, you could always mark them as Email Opt-Out (create the field if you don't have one or something similar), so that those records don't get pushed back into Marketo.

Caitlin_Poliksa
Level 3

are you afraid to delete because of previous unsubscribe information getting lost? If that is the case, then you don't need to worry, Marketo has the durable unsubscribe or the ever unsubscribe feature. Durable Unsubscribe this basically means that if a person is unsubscribed and you delete them, and they come back into your Marketo, they will come back as unsubscribe.

Christian_Tovar
Level 3

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for the response. I have explained this to my leadership team but we've had issues with our unsubscribe feature, which doesn't leave them feeling comfortable. In the past we were using an out of the box "bandaid" solution and that wasn't creating a durable unsubscribe. We are now using the Marketo unsubscribe but are now afraid there may be some that aren't durable. Does that make sense.

Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have some other custom fields managing your unsubscribe on some people, run a few Change Data Value processes first to ensure that ALL persons in your database have an unsub value you trust in Marketo's standard unsubscribe field. Doing your due diligence here will allow you to use the durable unsub with confidence. This is a very longstanding feature of Marketo, is well tested and trusted. The only reason it wouldn't work is if your data isn't cleaned up first.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There are a ton of posts on data management. please do a search.

Christian_Tovar
Level 3

I didn't find anything that was helpful. I must be searching incorrectly.