Re: how do i run a smart campaign to change blocked email status

Anonymous
Not applicable

how do i run a smart campaign to change blocked email status

Hi, i have a number of "email blocked" leads that were blocked due to the 550 Too many invalid email recipients reason.  I researched and the knowledgebase says that these only last for 24 hours and that they should be just fine for me to send to even though their record says "email invalid."  That said, it is bothersome that when i look at the screen that says how many leads the email smart campaign is set to affect, and there are over 500  that are "blocked"  and only 1/10th or so are actually unsubscribed.  Can someone tel me ho run a smart campaign to change their status away from email invalid for the ones who haven't unsubscribed.

and by the way, if i do nothing, and go forward with the smartcampaign, will the email actually go out to the ones that are currentl saying tha tthey are blocked? (Not the unsub ones, i know.) is thee no need to run a special unblocking campaign?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Hi Peri,

Here is a good article about blocked leads that you may find helpful.

To answer your question about going forward with your campaign, blocked leads will NOT be sent the email, but they WILL go through any other flow steps in the smart campaign that don't involve getting an email.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, this article helps me halfway thru the problem.  if i go thru the steps set forth in the article, and then do a step like change data value, can i get them changed back to email valid?
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

You can't run a flow step to change emails to being valid. If an email is invalid, you either have to change it (ex: joe@gmail;com --> joe@gmail.com) or try to contact the person through other means (ex: phone) to obtain a new, valid email address. You could also leave it in the database as invalid, in hopes that the person submits a valid one on a form. Or, as a last resort, if you're not content having an invalid email address, and there's no relevant history that you'd like to preserve, you can delete the record.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Actually you can. I think what Peri is referring to is that sometimes lead are set to Email Suspended=T, which is a 24 hour block. That never really gets reset, but Email Invalid is then set to F.

In this case, however, the lead is unlikely to be set to Email Invalid=F, so you will have to run a batch on leads you think should be brought back to life. Email Invalid=F

I would caution against this because once bounced, it's usually a good idea to leave the lead alone.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pretty new to Marketo and trying to figure out how to do a similar process.  So, if I currently have a set of leads in a csv file, do I go ahead and create a static list by importing these leads?  when I tried to do this, it didn't seem to work, expecting an Acquisition Program, which of course doesn't make sense for this purpose.  I tried leaving it blank, but it comes back with the "red" squiggly underscore, expecting a value and the import just doesn't happen. There is no other error.  Am I doing something wrong.  The set of leads I have, are not currently bouncing, but have come back as maybe what you would call a soft-bounce.  The email returned says the person has left, retired, changed emails, or numerous other reasons.  Sometimes there is another email given for that lead, but mostly an alternate email for another individual is given... not sure we want to put this in our database or not.  do you have any best practices suggestions for handling these types of leads?

Thanks,

Nancy R (new to Marketo)