SOLVED

Re: Help pausing drip nurture campaign

Go to solution
angcasper
Level 2

Help pausing drip nurture campaign

I need to pause a drip nurture campaign ASAP. I found this article that explains to add a  Change Engagement Program Cadence flow step. Where in my flow step should this be added? Can someone look at the attached screenshot? I don't want them to receive the second email in this program, so I added it as step #2Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 9.10.44 AM.png
Article: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/email-marketing/drip-nurturing/us...   

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Well, the easiest way would be to select all people in the SL form the people tab > Person Actions > Special > Remove from Flow > In the dialog with Remove from Flow step - select the Campaign from which you want to remove people (i.e., your nurture send campaign) > Hit Run. This'll remove people from the campaign flow immediately.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1650289383865.png

Darshil_Shah1_1-1650289411050.png

Alternatively, you can also create a batch campaign referencing the SL created in to the campaign's smart list tab (you would want to use Member of Smart List in <select your smart list> filter), in flow drag the Remove from Flow step in to the canvas, and select the Campaign from which you want to remove people (i.e., your nurture send campaign). Run the batch campaign using from the schedule tab of the campaign (this'll remove the people from campaign flow immediately). Also - instead of using the nested smart list (i.e., referencing the smart list you created in to the campaign's smart list) - you can also build out the SL using the same filter criteria in the campaign's SL directly. 🙂

If you're gonna be doing this exercise of removing people more than once you can go with the smart-campaign approach just so that you have log of   runs at one place.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1

I am assuming that you'd have this campaign in a default program and are referencing this campaign in an engagement program's stream for sending out the emails.

For the people already waiting in the campaign flow, you would need to remove people from the flow using the Remove from Flow flow step - so people don't receive the subsequent  emails after they complete the wait step - remember that it'll not pause people from the campaign, rather it'll remove people from the campaign flow altogether. 

Changing the cadence to Pause state will pause people from the EP and would not essentially pause people already in the campaign flow which has already been called/executed by the EP's stream. Pausing people from an engagement program would essentially prevent any further default program's send campaign to be called for the respective people.

Instead of having multiple send email flow steps in the nested default program's send campaign, it's advised to have them in the separate default programs which then can be individually added to the stream and let EP take care of the cadence instead of using the wait step in one single campaign.

Also, in general it is not advised to edit campaign flow with Members already in the flow/wait steps.

angcasper
Level 2

Thanks Darshil, this helps a lot. I have a smart list created of people that I want to remove from this program after we take it off of pause. How do I properly set up the "remove from flow" to reference a group smart list?

Darshil_Shah1

Well, the easiest way would be to select all people in the SL form the people tab > Person Actions > Special > Remove from Flow > In the dialog with Remove from Flow step - select the Campaign from which you want to remove people (i.e., your nurture send campaign) > Hit Run. This'll remove people from the campaign flow immediately.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1650289383865.png

Darshil_Shah1_1-1650289411050.png

Alternatively, you can also create a batch campaign referencing the SL created in to the campaign's smart list tab (you would want to use Member of Smart List in <select your smart list> filter), in flow drag the Remove from Flow step in to the canvas, and select the Campaign from which you want to remove people (i.e., your nurture send campaign). Run the batch campaign using from the schedule tab of the campaign (this'll remove the people from campaign flow immediately). Also - instead of using the nested smart list (i.e., referencing the smart list you created in to the campaign's smart list) - you can also build out the SL using the same filter criteria in the campaign's SL directly. 🙂

If you're gonna be doing this exercise of removing people more than once you can go with the smart-campaign approach just so that you have log of   runs at one place.

angcasper
Level 2

Wow, you did such a great job of explaining different options. I can't thank you enough!
Prior to your response my idea was to add a Remove From Flow step after the Change Engagement Cadence (step that has the campaign on hold). The Remove From Flow step is setup to remove anyone listed in my smart group list called "Blacklist Remediation". 

This program is still on pause. But just wondering would this flow step work if I removed the Change Engagement Cadence and turned it back onto active?  

Either way, looking forward to trying out the work arounds you were able to provide!

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 6.18.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-19 at 6.21.23 PM.png

Darshil_Shah1

I'm really glad that you found all the information useful.

Technically you don’t need the Change EP cadence to Paused state step - changing the audiences’ program cadence to Pause will not let them receive the next nurture content during subsequent cadence runs, unless you change their cadence back to Normal state - if the sole purpose is to remove people in the BlackList SLs from the campaign so that they do not end up receiving the email #2 after the wait step you’re better off without the Change Engagement Cadence to Pause step - having just the Remove from Flow step with Member of SL condition  should suffice.

As I probably explained in my earlier comment that Change Engagement Program cadence to Pause state will pause people from the EP and not from the campaign they are actually in.