Re: GDPR - Are you adding a cookie opt-out link to your Privacy Policy?

Alexis_Shamsi_H
Level 3

GDPR - Are you adding a cookie opt-out link to your Privacy Policy?

I found this tip in GDPR preparation discussions as an action item we should take to ensure cookie compliance (in addition to setting up a cookie preferences center on our site/Marketo landing pages):

Add a link to your company Privacy Policy page enabling customers to opt out from Marketo tracking. Link should be https://"customer page"?marketo_opt_out=true. When they click, Marketo places a "mkto_opt_out" cookie on the browser and their activity is no longer tracked online.

1) Can this be any page URL - i.e. fourseasons.com/meetings_and_events/?marketo_opt_out=true?

2) Are you also taking this step? Our legal dept. most likely will not want to customize our global Privacy Policy this way for one tool for one department.

15 REPLIES 15
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This feature can be useful, but it doesn't give the full-spectrum privacy protection that you're promising to end users.

When you add this param to a URL -- and yes, it can be any page -- Munchkin will set a "no-cookie cookie" and not perform any future tracking in that browser.  But if you've told the user that by clicking that link, "they won't be tracked," this isn't true, because the moment they click a tracked link on another device, you will be tracking them again.

To cover all these bases it's more important to persist those privacy settings to the lead record and make sure to honor them everywhere (not sending them tracked links, not loading Munchkin once you know who they are).  Stopping Munchkin from loading is pretty simple with or without the marketo_opt_out; it's making sure to honor the user preferences everywhere that's complex.

IMO, it's very important to fulfill the commitment that you make when somebody opts out, to the fullest extent technically possible. A false/incomplete opt-out can be more pernicious than not offering the option at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this on a Marketo page (http://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/lead-tracking/#opt_out😞

pastedImage_0.png

Not sure how advance this will come into effect of the GDPR however, hoping soon!

SanfordWhiteman

This is what Alexsi is referring to above, and it already functions if you use the Munchkin beta embed code.

However, it doesn't suffice for GDPR, as I explained above, because you will still be tracking people who you know, and who specifically disallowed tracking when they're on another device. You have to do more work than this to comply with people's wishes.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We're using a cookie consent manager (TrustArc) to handle this.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
Dan_Stevens_

Amy - even the cookie consent tools (like TrustArc and OneTrust) manage this at the cookie/browser level - not user level.  Basically what Sandy is saying is that it's going to be quite difficult to set/meet the expectations of users when they opt-in/out of cookies since the majority of the tools are setting this at the device/browser level.

Dan_Stevens_

One other thing that's surfaced in our discussions with our legal teams - specifically consent around cookie tracking - the tracking that is contained within emails is not a "cookie".  So tools like OneTrust and TrustArc don't impact this tracking.  One more challenge to figure out.  Would be interested how others are dealing with this.

Grégoire Michel

Michelle Miles

SanfordWhiteman

It's not, but it's still tracking web activity and I can't believe it's a true exemption. Even localStorage isn't a cookie but we all know it serves an identical purpose to a (1st party) cookie...

Dan_Stevens_

I should have stated this was more of an assumption until we have our next meeting with OneTrust to confirm.  Based on your discussions with OneTrust, Sandy, by opting out of Marketo tracking cookies, does it also disable Marketo email tracking (at the device level, of course)?

SanfordWhiteman

I should have stated this was more of an assumption until we have our next meeting with OneTrust to confirm. Based on your discussions with OneTrust, Sandy, by opting out of Marketo tracking cookies, does it also disable Marketo email tracking (at the device level, of course)?

Nope, it doesn't affect email tracking directly, since it can't un-rewrite email links.