Re: Form Visibility Rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form Visibility Rules

Hello folks,

I'm adding an opt-in field to a form, but I only want it to be visible to people in a specific country.

I know I can include the country field and set up a visibility rule for the opt-in field accordingly (e.g. if country is Canada then show opt-in field)

However, the form is not going to have a country field. How else can I set up a visibility rule for the opt-in field?

Can I use inferred country as a hidden field? For example, "Show if Inferred Country is Canada." Would Marketo fill in the Inferred Country value itself?

Thank you in advance.

32 REPLIES 32
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hello Danish,

What you can do is pull the "country" field into the form and just have "form pre-fill" enabled. This way when you edit the visibility for the opt-in field, every lead's country value will be an option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Devraj,

I'm not sure I follow. I'm trying to gauge the ability to have a visibility rule for an opt-in field based on Country without actually having the Country field in the form.

Is that possible in any way or by using the inferred country field?

Devraj_Grewal

Danish,

I do not believe it is possible to have the visibility for the opt-in field dependent on the country value since the form cannot see the form submitter's country value. So I was just suggesting a work-around of having the country field visible on the form as pre-filled so the visibility for the opt-in field has something to reference.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I do not believe it is possible to have the visibility for the opt-in field dependent on the country value since the form cannot see the form submitter's country

It's certainly possible.

If you are able to use PreFill, then you can add Country to the form but hide it from view (not as field type Hidden, but hidden using CSS) if it has an initial value.  That value will still be used in Visibility Rules.  Any lead that doesn't have an existing value should still see the dropdown so they can choose one.

Devraj_Grewal

Great to hear there is another workaround Sanford. I was always curious why you couldn't use visibility rules dependent on a field not added on the form. So I would always just use my workaround I mentioned above and simply add the field to the form.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

That sounds promising.

What I'm trying to do is set up a CASL program. So if the user selected Country=Canada then they would be presented with an opt-in field. Setting up the visibility rules in this instance is easy.

However these specific forms do not carry a country field, but I would still like to present the user with an opt-in field if they happen to be in Canada. So how do I present the opt-in field in this case? What rules or tracking do I need to set? In other words, is it possible to only display this field to Canadian IP addresses?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"Canadian IP address" is not the same as "protected under CASL." It's not a valid way to comply with the statute.

ETA: In case this wasn't clear, a Canadian citizen who fills out a form on vacation in Rio is still protected by CASL.  Like Josh said, check with your counsel directly, but there's no exemption in the law for failing to ask the right questions.  False positives from non-CASL subjects who happen to fill out a form in Canada and need to opt-in are harmless, of course. False negatives from not making a reasonable effort to gather the lead's legal status, on the other hand, are harmful.

Josh_Hill13

Please ask for Country and make it required if you want to comply.

Josh_Hill13

and check with your legal counsel.