SOLVED

Re: Form Pre-Fill Data Appearing in Wrong Field

Go to solution
Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Form Pre-Fill Data Appearing in Wrong Field

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with the form pre-fill dropping someone's physical address into an open field text box that's intended for the prospect to fill out with their questions/concerns. Does anyone know why this is happening and/or how to prevent it from continuing to happen?

Thanks!

-Marisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

The value is not coming from Marketo - it's coming from the browser itself. The issue is caused by browser autofill. I got exactly the same problem when I autofilled the form in my Chrome browser. Here's how to set up autofill for your Chrome (might be a problem in other browsers too): Fill out forms automatically - Computer - Google Chrome Help

To my knowledge, there's no clear description available as to how to control which value goes where and Chrome is ignoring  attempts to turn off the autocomplete function by design, but there are some things you could do:

- Add a hidden field to the form preceding the "Comments" field (it should be invisible to all, and be autopopulated with address only for those who actually autofill it);

- Play around with the "Comments" field type  - try changing the type of field for the comments section, for example, make it a string instead (not sure if it will actually help but it might);

- Add a visible address field to the form so the autofill should populate it instead (it will make the form longer for all users though).

None of these solve the problem, but they may be helpful as workarounds. Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marisa,

Are you just seeing this occur with a test person? If so, look at their person details. It is possible that in a past form submit or list import, their address was accidentally inputted into the questions field. What you can do is run an action to take the value of the Questions field and place it in the Address field and nullify the Questions field. Be careful though not to run an action on multiple leads as it is possible not all those with values in the Questions field are actually Addresses. First verify if this is indeed the issue and one-by-one run the action to move their Address from the Questions field to the Address field.

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Thanks, Devraj. We've been seeing contact requests come through with the address in the comments field and couldn't figure out why it was happening. Then my boss noticed that in Chrome when she is looking at that page it has her address pre-populated in that field. I just looked at her record in Marketo, and it doesn't have her address at all in fact. It seems like potentially a Chrome issue. Is there anything I can do about that on my end? Note: I can't duplicate this issue on my devices.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's extremely unlikely that this is browser-related.

Pls link to your live form.

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

SanfordWhiteman

That page isn't Pre-Fill-enabled.

I think you're mistaking something being done by a 3rd-party script for Marketo Pre-Fill, or you have a a Flow step that's changing the value accidentally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The value is not coming from Marketo - it's coming from the browser itself. The issue is caused by browser autofill. I got exactly the same problem when I autofilled the form in my Chrome browser. Here's how to set up autofill for your Chrome (might be a problem in other browsers too): Fill out forms automatically - Computer - Google Chrome Help

To my knowledge, there's no clear description available as to how to control which value goes where and Chrome is ignoring  attempts to turn off the autocomplete function by design, but there are some things you could do:

- Add a hidden field to the form preceding the "Comments" field (it should be invisible to all, and be autopopulated with address only for those who actually autofill it);

- Play around with the "Comments" field type  - try changing the type of field for the comments section, for example, make it a string instead (not sure if it will actually help but it might);

- Add a visible address field to the form so the autofill should populate it instead (it will make the form longer for all users though).

None of these solve the problem, but they may be helpful as workarounds. Hope that helps.

SanfordWhiteman

To my knowledge, there's no clear description available as to how to control which value goes where and Chrome is ignoring attempts to turn off the autocomplete function by design, but there are some things you could do:

I've been deep-diving into the problem with this page for the past 2 days and finally figured out the cause.

Turns out that, while it's definitely related to AutoFill heuristics like you note, it isn't the field name or field order per se. The underlying cause is kind of mind-blowing and took me back to my long-thought-escaped C++ days.

I think you're going to enjoy my blog post on the topic (will link to it here)!