Re: Follow-ups in Marketo

chaekim
Level 2

Follow-ups in Marketo

Hi all! I'm attempting to send out an automated follow-up email if the receiving user does not respond to the email. Could anyone share with me how they were able to exclude users that have responded to the initial email from receiving a follow-up? Is this something that's possible in Marketo?

7 REPLIES 7
Oz_Platero
Level 6

@chaekim 

There are so many ways to tackle this depending on what else you are trying to do.

High level

• In your smart list look for records that were sent email - X.
  • But did not open or click email - X.
  • You can layer in additional constraints or filters as needed; keep in mind Marketo's data retention policy.

Oz_Platero_0-1629492455234.png

chaekim
Level 2

This would be applicable if I was targeting people that have not opened or clicked a link in an email. However, I'd like to send follow-ups to those that have also opened the email but did not respond.

Would you know of a solution for that scenario?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You still haven’t said how you’re defining “respond.“

As noted, Marketo doesn’t receive human replies to emails in the first place. So it cannot process them.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What exactly do you mean by "respond"?

Oz's answer assumes you mean engaged with an email by performing a Marketo-tracked activity. This conforms to the general concept of responding in some way to a marketing stimulus, viz. the Responded status in a Salesforce Campaign.

Marketo doesn't use the term "respond" in this way, though. You'd be looking at emaill engagement or program success or another Marketo-specific concept.

If you mean literally "wrote back to an email" that's not something Marketo can handle, as it doesn't process human Reply-To: responses.

chaekim
Level 2

Yeah, we've actually come up with a different workaround to have an app speak to Marketo to accomplish this. Thanks for your reply! I was curious to see if I'd be able to do this with Marketo alone, but it seems to be not possible.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Can you speak more about the workaround you guys came up with?  Curious how did you accomplish this? What app was used? Thank you

chaekim
Level 2

Hey, sorry for the really late response. We used zapier!