Re: Excess form fill activities when lead fills out multiple forms on a single webpage

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Excess form fill activities when lead fills out multiple forms on a single webpage

We use a single global webform in several different iterations on our webpages, and we've discovered that when a lead fills out multiple forms on the same webpage, each subsequent submission re-submits the previous form fill AS WELL AS the new form fill.  The result is that Marketo is logging a TON of excess/duplicate form fill activities and the data is getting submitted into our other databases over and over again. 

Our developer thinks this is because Marketo essentially holds the form details in memory.  He tried using the API to reset the form each time it's opened, but then the subsequent form fills don't work after the first one is submitted.

We've used our method of a single hidden webform for years now and haven't noticed a problem (not to say there wasn't one), but just recently launched a new two-part webform that mysteriously logs 3 form fill activities (one for the first part, two dupes for the second part - this seems to be a separate issue altogether).  The 3 form fill activities logged for that webform, combined with any other form fills a lead makes on the webpage, basically creates an exponentially high number of total form fill activities, so it's very obvious now that something isn't working right.

Has anyone run into this issue?  I contacted Marketo Support and they were helpful but said it might end up being an implementation thing which they don't do.  

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Excess form fill activities when lead fills out multiple forms on a single webpage

Our developer thinks this is because Marketo essentially holds the form details in memory.

Nope, there’s nothing like that w/Marketo forms (not that I’m even sure what it means!).

This is almost certainly a problem with custom JS you’ve added to the page — but without seeing the page that has this problem, impossible to say more.

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Update - our developer was able to figure out a fix:

• First CTA click loads the Marketo form
  • On submission, reset the Marketo form without reloading it (remove all content from fields) and enable button which gets disabled automatically

Not sure how much of this is unique to our code and site design, but wanted to post in case it's helpful for others!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Certainly a case where other JS was incorrectly causing the multiple submits. If you show me the page I can inspect it, since you shouldn’t need to patch it like that.