Re: Email associated with a program from 2018, has activity in 2022 even though the program is turned off

dianasandate01
Level 1

Email associated with a program from 2018, has activity in 2022 even though the program is turned off

Currently I am seeing 3 emails that were sent from a program that is turned off. I can see they were sent back in February, where could I find who they were sent to and who sent them. We do have Marketo linked to salesforce so I was wondering if maybe it someone using MSI. I was looking at the program itself but couldnt really pinpoint the 3 emails in February. 

thank you, 

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Email associated with a program from 2018, has activity in 2022 even though the program is turned off

The email send activity is considered as one of the high volume activities and per the Marketo’s data retention policy is retained for 90 days from the date of activity. However, if you have RCE (Revenue Cycle Explorer) you should be able to view the email send activity in the Email Analysis Report. If this email was sent from MAI, you should be looking for Sent Sales Email activity which is retained for a period of 25 months in the lead activity log from the date of activity. 
If this email was triggered from Marketo by a user - you should be able to look them up in the audit trail, but AFAIK - you cannot go past 6 months in the audit trail. 

Katja_Keesom

@Darshil_Shah1 already gave you a few good angles to try and find out what happened. If the email sends were from last February the Email Send and Email Delivered actvities would indeed already be removed. However, the Open Email activity is retained for 25 months. So if the email performance report shows any of the people who were sent this email have actually opened it you should be able to trace back who they were and have a look at what happened around that time.

In my experience, blasts from the past like this can sometimes relate to people clicking in an old email in their inbox that triggers a next send. But with the email being as old as this, it is unlikely those triggers are still active.

You are making a strong case for good archiving practices, making old content unavailable to avoid mistakes.

Darshil_Shah1

You are making a strong case for good archiving practices, making old content unavailable to avoid mistakes.

This is a great point, @Katja_Keesom! Thank you so much for adding it to this post. 

@dianasandate01, for your reference, the archived assets do not appear in the auto-suggest so you do not end up selecting an older asset even by mistake in your campaigns/flows.