SOLVED

Re: Email 1 of 5 skipped due to communication limits - Do they receive other emails in a drip flow?

Go to solution
Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Email 1 of 5 skipped due to communication limits - Do they receive other emails in a drip flow?

Hello, 

I have a smart campaign, that is NOT in an engagement program, that sends multiple emails with wait steps. 

If the member of the program doesn't receive the first email in the flow due to daily communication limits, they won't receive the others correct? 

Shane_Rourke2_0-1620158007903.png

Shane Rourke
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Email 1 of 5 skipped due to communication limits - Do they receive other emails in a drip flow?

Just a quick addition to make it work: If you add a choice to step 6 to say If Email Was Delivered, specifying your first email to send and set the Default to Do Nothing it would work as you describe.

And of course you can do that for all of the following Send Email flow steps to ensure the previous email was actually delivered.

I would opt for Delivered rather than Email Was Sent, as it gives you more certainty the email actually reached the recipient.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

They certainly will get the others, since you haven't put any logic in to the contrary!
Katja_Keesom

Just a quick addition to make it work: If you add a choice to step 6 to say If Email Was Delivered, specifying your first email to send and set the Default to Do Nothing it would work as you describe.

And of course you can do that for all of the following Send Email flow steps to ensure the previous email was actually delivered.

I would opt for Delivered rather than Email Was Sent, as it gives you more certainty the email actually reached the recipient.

SanfordWhiteman

True! However, there's still a missing ingredient here. Implicitly exiting someone from a flow because they went over Comm Limits on a single day seems overly punitive. The flow should be more resilient.

Katja_Keesom

True. Unfortunately you cannot filter on the ones that were not sent for that reason (even though it is logged as an activity). I can imagine some work arounds but they do feel clunky.

SanfordWhiteman

Yeah, clunky but worth it IMO. 🙂 It would be difficult to defend the practice of "if they exceeded daily comm limits on Day 1 they're done" in front of a CMO.

Katja_Keesom

Also true. I would actually investigate something like this for each step:

• If previous email bounced, remove from flow entirely.
  • Send next email with choices:
    • If previous email was delivered, send next email.
    • If not, try previous email again.

For email 3 and 4 you would also want to factor in a remove from flow if email 1 was not delivered after two attempts.

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

@Katja_Keesom @SanfordWhiteman 

To address the scenario where someone doesn't receive email due to daily limits I added 'Not Was Sent Email' choice. 

Will Marketo continue to cycle through this step until one of the two choices happens?

Shane_Rourke2_0-1626445555381.png

Shane Rourke
SanfordWhiteman

No, Marketo will never re-run a Flow step on its own. If the choices don’t match, the Flow continues.