Dynamics 365 Leads Promoted to Contact Creates Duplicate in Marketo

rwagner
Level 1

Dynamics 365 Leads Promoted to Contact Creates Duplicate in Marketo

Hello Marketo Nation!

Hoping someone can provide some guidance on the following situation - thank you in advance! 

Our leads begin in Marketo and flow over into Dynamics 365 (Marketo record says Microsoft Type: Lead).  Once that lead is qualified and promoted to a Contact, the original CRM lead record gets deactivated as the new CRM contact record is created. This new contact syncs to Marketo and creates an entirely new record, despite having the same email address (Marketo record says Microsoft Type: Contact). 

Essentially, we now have duplicate records for every lead who has been qualified and promoted from Lead to Contact. Since they've synced to D365, we cannot merge these duplicates. 

How have other D365 users overcome this issue?

One solution discussed internally was to match records on email address, not unique Marketo ID. Is that even possible?  

I found a 2015 post related to this (but for Salesforce) - however the poster never responded to the questions from the Marketo rep... 

3 REPLIES 3
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Re: Dynamics 365 Leads Promoted to Contact Creates Duplicate in Marketo

Hi @rwagner ,

I do not believe that Dynamics should be creating a new record in Marketo after conversion from a lead. Have you checked to see if Marketo has visibility to the conversion state for the lead conversion?

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Eperiencing the same currently and it seems to be down to a rights issue on the Dynamics user that converts the lead.

If you find a solution, please post it back in this thread and I will do the same.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Are you using the new_synctomkto flag on any of the objects in Dynamics? In that case, make sure that on the Dynamics side this field on the Lead object is correctly mapped to the Contact object field.