SOLVED

Re: Do people who use the list-unsubscribe header show up as unsubscribed in email analytics?

Go to solution
Monica_Wright
Level 2

Do people who use the list-unsubscribe header show up as unsubscribed in email analytics?

We have been digging into our unsubscribe sources and noticed a significant amount are coming from list-unsubscribe. For the people who unsubscribe using the list-unsubscribe header,  I am assuming that they are NOT counted in email analytics? I do know  that unsubscribers need to use a form to be counted as an unsubscribe from a specific email asset. (This article is also a good reference.)

Thanks for confirming.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Do people who use the list-unsubscribe header show up as unsubscribed in email analytics?

These unsubs through list-unsubscribe header will not show up in the native email performance report 

They do, though! Somehow this has become received wisdom but it isn't true. Unsubscribes via List-Unsubscribe are counted in the Email Performance Report - notwithstanding the report's other shortcomings.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman

The List-Unsubscribe header is an unsubscribe atttributed to a specific email asset. You can see an Activity Log entry to that effect.

Monica_Wright
Level 2

Thanks for such a prompt response. But there is no direct way to report on the people who use list-unsubscribe, correct? We are noticing mostly because we are tracking our unsubscribe pages using hidden fields, and list-unsubscribe is simply those unsubscribed people without those fields.

SanfordWhiteman

This will give you all email client-driven Unsubscribes (which includes both Unsubscribe and Report as Spam type buttons):

2020-02-17 19_57_45-Marketo _ Unsub via X-List-Unsubscribe • Database.png

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

That's correct. These unsubs through list-unsubscribe header will not show up in the native email performance report but as Sanford mentioned you can create a separate smart list to see those unsubscribes.

Monica_Wright
Level 2

Hi Amit,
Clarifying this comment: "These unsubs through list-unsubscribe header will not show up in the native email performance report."

Are you saying that these people are NOT counted as unsubscribed in the email performance report? That was my original question. I know they become unsubscribed in the Activity Log, but I want to confirm that these people who do unsubscribe are also counted in the email performance report. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Are you saying that these people are NOT counted as unsubscribed in the email performance report? That was my original question. I know they become unsubscribed in the Activity Log, but I want to confirm that these people who do unsubscribe are also counted in the email performance report. 

They are also counted in the EPR.

SanfordWhiteman

These unsubs through list-unsubscribe header will not show up in the native email performance report 

They do, though! Somehow this has become received wisdom but it isn't true. Unsubscribes via List-Unsubscribe are counted in the Email Performance Report - notwithstanding the report's other shortcomings.

Monica_Wright
Level 2

Thanks! And DO SHARE  the other shortcomings, or point me in the right direction!

SanfordWhiteman

Well, they just don't do as much as you can do with a SL.

However, they do what they do very well (and accurately) and some of that cannot be done automatically in another report type or SL (i.e. without hard-coding values and nesting lists).