Deleting Leads in Salesforce and Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleting Leads in Salesforce and Marketo

Hi there,

We recently de-duped and cleaned up a list of leads in Salesforce. My question is, when a lead is deleted/merged to another leads in Salesforce, will Marketo do the same? Or will it still store a lead that was deleted from SF?

Reason I am asking is I recently did some lead field updates via Marketo, and when I pulled the list of leads we cleaned up, all of the deduped leads were there again in SF.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deleting Leads in Salesforce and Marketo

Hi Dustin,

The merge in SFDC should be replicated in Marketo. There is an article about that topic here, SFDC Sync: Merging a Lead/Contact/Person - Marketo Docs - Product Docs .

Can you tell me a bit more about the process you followed to merge the records in SFDC? Did you use a 3rd party tool? If so, which tool?

Thanks!

Drew Smith

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Typically, Marketo merges the record when it is merged in SFDC. But sometimes there are ghost records in SFDC or the Marketo Lead isn't always deleted fully.

So if the dupe is still in Marketo, it will be pushed back to SFDC at some pt.

I'd read the details and review with whoever did the merging.

Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Dustin - another possibility to consider without knowing the detail of your setup, is your Marketo sync user set up with the correct permissions to delete leads/contacts in Salesforce? Essentially merging a lead is the same as choosing one record and deleting/discarding another. If the Marketo sync user doesn't have permission to delete leads/contacts in SFDC it can easily cause odd behaviour in the merge process. Again, difficult to say without knowing your setup.

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Hi Dustin

Did you merge leads with leads in SFDC or did you merge leads with contacts? If you merged 2 leads in SFDC, can you verify both of them existed in Marketo as well? As Veronica mentioned, the duplicate SFDC record might not be visible to Marketo.