SOLVED

Re: Data visualization for email frequency & database saturation?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data visualization for email frequency & database saturation?

Hey Marketing Nation,

With our currently do a lot of one-off email sends and that has been increasing steadily. I'm trying to make a case to my colleagues for the "less is more" concept and to show just how often we are currently sending emails to our target audience.

This gets tricky of course as recipient lists change from email to email.

Has anyone found a good way to visually show the email activity for your instance? Would love to highlight the frequency and the coverage of each email, with coverage meaning essentially how much of our database are we hitting or which segments, etc... showing emails on a calendar just doesn't quite cut it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth, we ended up pulling all our Marketo data into Domo and building dashboards and reports there. They have a couple fairly unique views that allow us to build heat maps and calendar charts to show hotspots when a specific audience is getting hit a little too much.

There's one little piece missing though. Ever see the activity log when a lead was "Blocked due to communication limits"? For whatever reason this description field isn't pulled in with our Domo-Marketo connector.

Seems like this would be a candidate for a standard system report in Marketo. Number of people skipped due to communication limits each week, month, etc... Good way to highlight opportunities to be more targeted.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Great question.

I think the Email Insights report is actually great for high level data and you can slice and dice it in number of different ways.

Another thing I've done is export a big email performance report and group similar emails together, and if you send a lot (which sounds like you do) you get a nice period chart in excel, multiple charts with similar data points.

email me i'll share some examples privately dalfonso AT hitwise.com

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jon,

Please move this to Products . Marketing Central is for generic marketing discussions. You will be more likely to get an answer in products.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do, although it was meant more as a question overall about email visualization and reporting rather than necessarily tied to anything Marketo-specific.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jon -

If you'd like to go another route (pull report outside of Marketo) we use the Marketo API to pull out monthly send/delivered/click data via the email performance report as well as total contacts targeted in that month. We use that in our weekly campaign call to discuss our email marketing trends, avg. number of touches per contact pre/post click, and manage the discussion you're talking about - when "less is more".

I'd be happy to connect and discuss in more detail if you'd like!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tabitha, curious about this route since you mentioned the Marketo API. Do you have an in-house developer? Or do you use an external tool to access the data?

It would be great to have access to the activity log data since that shows when leads were "Skipped due to Communication Limits" and shows another good data point in favor of better targeting and/or change of email cadence.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jon - we do a mix of pulling it via API in our tool (we use the Marketo connector in the Alteryx application) as well as export the email performance report on a monthly basis to see "trends". happy to connect and share examples if helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tabitha - Could you please share the Alteryx module or steps to pull email data via Marketo API in Alteryx? I am looking for a similar solution.

Regards,

Sumeet

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Jon Bjornn     

We have prepared custom dashboards for Marketo which can give you this information. Are you at the marketing summit this year? If yes, stop by Grazitti Interactive's Booth #B461 in the Expo Hall. Else, we can schedule a demo for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth, we ended up pulling all our Marketo data into Domo and building dashboards and reports there. They have a couple fairly unique views that allow us to build heat maps and calendar charts to show hotspots when a specific audience is getting hit a little too much.

There's one little piece missing though. Ever see the activity log when a lead was "Blocked due to communication limits"? For whatever reason this description field isn't pulled in with our Domo-Marketo connector.

Seems like this would be a candidate for a standard system report in Marketo. Number of people skipped due to communication limits each week, month, etc... Good way to highlight opportunities to be more targeted.