Can we email to generic email addresses (ex: info@abc.com)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we email to generic email addresses (ex: info@abc.com)?

I thought that I saw an article recently stating that it is against Marketo policy to email to generic addresses... info@abc.com for example. I tried finding it again but can't seem to locate  Can anyone confirm that or let me know if this is incorrect?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Re: Can we email to generic email addresses (ex: info@abc.com)?

I'm not sure if they have a policy about it, they say it's more bad practice. I heard them say at a Webinar last week that we should try and suppress these style of email addresses. Reasons against it can mess up your stats and user experience, as multiple people could have access to the email address, the Munchkin could trigger on multiple computers, pre-fill could work incorrectly, etc...

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There is no policy against this, however, each business is different. Some firms get info@ for trials or multiuser accounts, so you can't just blacklist them.

abuse@

unsubscribe@

postmaster@

are bad to send to.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I completely agree with Josh.  Some generic addresses, as long as they didn't come from a purchased list (bad move!) are totally legit.

Just the other day I was noticing that a company I work for gets a lot of legit signups from admin@example.com -- not surprising given that they cater to to IT admins at small companies. Sure, the address it might turn out to represent a couple of different human leads and mix together some Munchkin activities but that's obviously better than ignoring them!

Dan_Stevens_

Check out Josh Hill​'s Rockstar Guide (Email Reputation Management) for further insight - in this specific case, start on slide 11.

Dan_Stevens_

Just an FYI, we have deployed a similar approach - based on Josh's approach in his guide - in our instance of Marketo.  Just for curiosity, I ran a smart list to filter all emails that begin with those contained in the guide against any form that was submitted on our site.  All, but one, were general solicitations for some type of service (even a couple of roofers - and we're an B2B tech firm)!