Re: Auto-MQL campaign

Steph_Anderson
Level 4

Auto-MQL campaign

We are implementing a new scoring structure where several actions will result in an auto-mql. Is there a best practice on auto-mqling? 

What does your flow look like for that. Wondering how to handle the point portion of it. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

There's a lot of content on lead scoring best practices you can search for. e.g. https://nation.marketo.com/thread/51298-lead-score-interesting-moments-ideas 

To summarise, it comes down to mapping out your business selling cycle and mapping out your buyer's journey. You need input from sales and marketing. How important is each action in relation to a buyer being ready to XYZ (what ever your definition of MQL is)?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

I don't know if it's best practice, but we handle auto-mqls in the same framework we handle all scoring. Only that the score increase for the auto-mql actions is so high that it offsets all potential detractors.

Specifically for our case: If the scoring threshold is 30, we just score the auto-mql action with +100. There is no scenario under which these 100 points would not lead to an MQL.

If you score through tokens - which best practice advise suggests - you can have one score token like {{my.behavior-contact-request}} and use that one token for all auto-mql activities.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

best practice is to have leads run through lead lifecycle step-by-step (you don't want to necessarily "skip" anything, but they can pass through more quickly). To that end, I've only seen/done auto-mql by using existing scoring, like Michael Florin‌ said. Just understand your scoring model -- some scoring models never go negative, so you can just add +30 (whatever MQL is) and be done, OR if you do have negative scores, you can hard set a score to be exactly 30 (just don't put the '+'). Just make sure you fully understand the scoring fields (behavioral vs demographic) and how they play together before hard coding scores at any point.

Steph_Anderson
Level 4

I went ahead and set it to =75 which is our MQL threshold. Thanks!!

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

2 things to ensure --

1. you only hard coded it for those that haven't previously MQL'd (score <75)
  2. your score field isn't a combination of Demographic + Behavioral -- in which case hard-coding one and not taking the other into consideration could wreck your scoring model.

But if all that works -- you should be golden.

Don't forget to select the correct answer to mark this question as resolved.