SOLVED

Re: All In-use assets across Marketo instance

Go to solution
tazzy1234
Level 2

All In-use assets across Marketo instance

Hello Marketo users, 

The company I work for is looking for a way to get a list of all in-use assets across our Marketo instance. High level, this would be emails, email templates, landing pages, forms and any other marketing assets (not as granular as images etc). Is there a way to export this type of information, as well as see as its last use?

For instance I know we used XYZ template in a smart campaign last Wednesday, and the ABC lead capture form was last filled out in 2020 etc etc.

I could crawl through our folder structure but that would take a significant amount of time (our instance is almost 10 years old).

ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated and likely save me hours of time. Thanks !!!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What exactly does “in use” mean for a Landing Page or Email (not LP template or Email template) in your lexicon? For example, an Email may be sent only via Marketing » Send Email or a recently-deleted batch campaign. So it doesn’t have a live reference anywhere else. But the last send might have been earlier today!

It seems like you’re talking “in-use” in terms of recently sent/recently visited/recently submitted in which case you could use a Bulk Activity Log Extract, then work backward from there to determine which templates are linked to the relevant assets.

This is not a simple task, in other words.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

What exactly does “in use” mean for a Landing Page or Email (not LP template or Email template) in your lexicon? For example, an Email may be sent only via Marketing » Send Email or a recently-deleted batch campaign. So it doesn’t have a live reference anywhere else. But the last send might have been earlier today!

It seems like you’re talking “in-use” in terms of recently sent/recently visited/recently submitted in which case you could use a Bulk Activity Log Extract, then work backward from there to determine which templates are linked to the relevant assets.

This is not a simple task, in other words.

tazzy1234
Level 2

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. From what I can tell this seems like a good starting point along with using the API to collect a list of all assets and cross-reference the two 

tazzy1234
Level 2

So I've determined that being granted access to the API is likely the best solve. My client has granted me access to the API (I have an "API Role" under my assigned roles). However, I don't seem to have access to the Marketo endpoint URL, nor any client ID or Secret (I'm not an admin, and web services/launchpoint dont show in my admin navigation). From everything I've read, it seems that you need to have admin access to interact with the API, is that correct or am I missing something?

SanfordWhiteman

You certainly don’t need to be an admin to use the API — that would be a catastrophic security flaw. (The whole idea is outside apps can use specific API endpoints, if they all had to be admins that would be... bad!)

You do have to have an API-only User in addition to your regular interactive user, however. You don’t use the same login for the UI and API. And of course there needs to be a Launchpoint service (Custom type) set up for you. The client needs to do more to set you up. Sounds sort of like they haven’t used the API before?

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I wish Marketo had a "Used By" list available for all the assets handy in global search. This would eradicate the need for people to go into each asset individually to see whether or they are being used by other assets and if yes, which asset/campaigns are using them. But with that being said, even if Marketo had such a list it would not be able to reference recently sent/recently visited/recently submitted details in any way and one would have to resort to pulling the activity data, as Sandy says in his comment above.