SOLVED

Re: Adding blocked domains

Go to solution
cgeorgem
Level 1

Adding blocked domains

Hi. I am getting a ton of spam form fills, even after applying the Consumer Email Domain Blocklist global form validation rule. Marketo won't permit me to edit its rule's list nor will it let me create another rule for emails. Support is no help -- they said ask Community. So, here I am -- how are other folks adding onto their blocked domain list? Do you just use Marketo's csv of blocked domains and use that to build/append your own? That's the best I can think of but would love to hear if there is a better solution out there. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AH123
Level 1

You have the right idea.

What we have done, since truthfully Recaptcha and Honeypots aren't as effective, is to generate a list of the people that filled out the form using a smart list and looking for suspicious email addresses that seem obvious or redundant, that are spammy. When I say this I mean the ones that are undoubtedly spam because you don't want to block someone that may not be. We then use the IP or domain names to block them by including those in the code where the form is featured on your website or other code accessible platform where you can add the names of the IP's or Domain names.

So far this has worked the best for us and has been the best solution assuming you have IP's or Domains that are repetitive and that you can isolate. If you can use Marketo's recaptcha and a honeypot and IP blocking that would be ideal because it will hopefully reduce form filling bots as well as human spammers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AH123
Level 1

You have the right idea.

What we have done, since truthfully Recaptcha and Honeypots aren't as effective, is to generate a list of the people that filled out the form using a smart list and looking for suspicious email addresses that seem obvious or redundant, that are spammy. When I say this I mean the ones that are undoubtedly spam because you don't want to block someone that may not be. We then use the IP or domain names to block them by including those in the code where the form is featured on your website or other code accessible platform where you can add the names of the IP's or Domain names.

So far this has worked the best for us and has been the best solution assuming you have IP's or Domains that are repetitive and that you can isolate. If you can use Marketo's recaptcha and a honeypot and IP blocking that would be ideal because it will hopefully reduce form filling bots as well as human spammers.

cgeorgem
Level 1

I didn't think about IP addresses; that's a great suggestion. Thank you.

StephanieK
Level 1

Do you have the details on how to add these domains/IPs to the Marketo form code specifically @AH123 ?

Stephanie Klaiber | Sr. Marketing & Demand Generation Manager
COFENSE
m. 703-819-0865
e. stephanie.klaiber@cofense.com
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

You can create Global form validation rules and add the domains from which you wish to suppress submissions. Check it out on the product docs here. Fair warning that as the name suggests, the global form validation rule applies to all the forms in the instance by default, and you'd have to selectively change the Form Setting in case you'd like to disable the rule for any of the forms. You can use a JS to block form submissions from a form or two, i.e., don't wish to setup a global rule.

StephanieK
Level 1

Thanks so much...we have this set up, but it doesn’t seem to be working as I have tested the domains, we are blocking the form submissions are still going through. I have also confirmed that all forms have this enabled...Is there something we may be missing?

Stephanie Klaiber | Sr. Marketing & Demand Generation Manager
COFENSE
m. 703-819-0865
e. stephanie.klaiber@cofense.com
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please show the rules you’ve added and link to a page with a form.