SOLVED

How to Restrict Free Email Domains on Form Fill Out in 2021

Go to solution
Chris_Goelkel
Level 1

How to Restrict Free Email Domains on Form Fill Out in 2021

Is there a new way to do this since this old Blog Article in 2014. This doesn't seem to work for me. 

If you reference this old post (https://developers.marketo.com/blog/restrict-free-email-domains-on-form-fill-out/) it says you can block whatever domain you want on the front side of the form. But I believe some calls have changed, and the script is not working.  Has anyone else run across this issue?

This seems like a out of date method, is there a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to Restrict Free Email Domains on Form Fill Out in 2021

Use the new FormsPlus::EmailPattern JS.

You can see a demo here:

MktoForms2 :: FormsPlus-EmailPattern [simple demo]

Download the JS library from the CodePen HTML pane (direct download link here) and re-host it in your Design Studio.

Then add the code from the CodePen JS pane anywhere after your form embed. Add blockable domains to the invalidDomains array. It accepts 3 different formats:

mailbox@example.com  - matches one specific email address

example.com - matches all mailboxes @ that domain

mailbox@ - blocks that mailbox @ any domain

(actually it does even more cool stuff but I haven't had time to document it yet!)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman

Use the new FormsPlus::EmailPattern JS.

You can see a demo here:

MktoForms2 :: FormsPlus-EmailPattern [simple demo]

Download the JS library from the CodePen HTML pane (direct download link here) and re-host it in your Design Studio.

Then add the code from the CodePen JS pane anywhere after your form embed. Add blockable domains to the invalidDomains array. It accepts 3 different formats:

mailbox@example.com  - matches one specific email address

example.com - matches all mailboxes @ that domain

mailbox@ - blocks that mailbox @ any domain

(actually it does even more cool stuff but I haven't had time to document it yet!)

View solution in original post

Chris_Goelkel
Level 1

Thanks @SanfordWhiteman 

I am trying to make this work, but first try was unsuccessful. 

You Said I should upload a copy of that JS to my Marketo Library correct, then call that version. It's acting like it's not calling it.

SanfordWhiteman

You'd need to provide a link to your page. Can't tell what's going on without that.

Chris_Goelkel
Level 1

@SanfordWhiteman I don't have it on a public server you can get to unfortunately but can you confirm I am calling the correct code:

This would be what I would call under my form code correct. 

<!-- FormsPlus libraries -->
<script id="teknklFormsPlus-EmailPattern-1.0.3" src="https://your-marketo-domain/rs/765-HCI-927/images/formsplus-emailpattern-1.0.3.js"></script>
<!-- /FormsPlus libraries -->

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, that plus the code from the CodePen JS pane of course.
Chris_Goelkel
Level 1

Thank You Very Much @SanfordWhiteman , This is a Powerful little script! Nicely done. 

SanfordWhiteman

Glad you like it. When I reveal the other thing it can do, you might like it more!
Chris_Goelkel
Level 1

I look forward to it, by the way the reason it didn't work for me originally was the order it was firing in, incase anyone else runs into that. 

laberge
Level 1

Hey Sandy,

I've just been testing this script here and our forms use a different button (for some other webhooks) - I see the script triggers correctly but the button we use seems to ignore the ability to block the form submission. I can see it says "must be a valid email" but it doesn't seem to stop the submission. Any chance you could glance at it quickly

It's been a while (and a few companies) since I've asked you a question 🙂 hope all is well.

-Justin