SOLVED

Add helper text to each picklist value in Marketo forms

Go to solution
arpitha_kunjur
Level 1

Add helper text to each picklist value in Marketo forms

I have a form with a picklist filed with the field type set to "select". When someone drops down the field and scrolls over different the picklist values, I would like a helper text to appear giving a description of each picklist value so they can select the value that makes the most sense to them. Is this possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Add helper text to each picklist value in Marketo forms

You can set the standard title attribute on any <option>.

However, the UX is pretty... shall we say, light... on desktop:

SanfordWhiteman_0-1694153350133.png

And on mobile, where choosing/scrolling is within the system modal <select> (i.e. rendered by the browser on top of your page) you wouldn’t see the value at all:

SanfordWhiteman_1-1694153638266.png

I agree with Jo that your helper text should just be part of the option text (not the server value). This is the only thing that will ever be cross-browser.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@arpitha_kunjur, your desired approach has a few issues that I can see:

1. It is pretty non standard.  It's not what users expect, and that's always a challenge.
  2. What about mobile?  There really isn't a hover state there.

Why can't you make your picklist values clear?  Remember, just because you store 'bob' in the database doesn't stop you from displaying 'Robert the Bruce' in the picklist.

What is the use case you are trying to solve?  One alternative MAY be to display more detailed text under the picklist after a person has chosen a value.  I still am not a fan of that however.

Cheers

Jo 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can set the standard title attribute on any <option>.

However, the UX is pretty... shall we say, light... on desktop:

SanfordWhiteman_0-1694153350133.png

And on mobile, where choosing/scrolling is within the system modal <select> (i.e. rendered by the browser on top of your page) you wouldn’t see the value at all:

SanfordWhiteman_1-1694153638266.png

I agree with Jo that your helper text should just be part of the option text (not the server value). This is the only thing that will ever be cross-browser.