Workspaces/Lead Partitions/Database Fields - Please tell me there's an answer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Workspaces/Lead Partitions/Database Fields - Please tell me there's an answer

Marketo nation:

I am facing an interesting challenge:  My company just purchased a new instance of Marketo - with workspaces.

Our business need:  We need to be able to send communications on behalf of several different clients of ours (the emails are sent to their customers....so, our clients' clients).

Initially, it sounded like workspaces and partitions were the answer to our business need.  However, after reading some articles and speaking with Marketo, I've learned that a person (aka email address) cannot exist in multiple database partitions. 

1. Does anyone have a workaround for this, or an answer to this issue?  Each of our clients may in fact have very legitimate reason(s) to require communication with a person - they could ultimately be selling to the same person.
  2. Does anyone know, when working with partitions/workspaces....is the actual database and database fields global? Meaning, are my fields unique to partitions or are they global across the entire database?  I understand the actual data values can only be viewed/worked with by the individual partitions to which they are assigned, but can the data fields be "seen" by other partitions?

Is anyone leveraging Marketo in a similar manner, whereby you are sending emails to clients'/clients'? 

12 REPLIES 12
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Workspaces/Lead Partitions/Database Fields - Please tell me there's an answer

Hi Duke,

You could ask Marketo to change the way leads are being deduplicated to make the key being email address + workspace. This would enable you to create the same lead in multiple workspaces.

Yes, the fields and their values are unique to the whole database. Yet, the lead fields, as well as the lead themselves, will only be visible to the workspaces that have access to the partition in which the lead is stored. If the workspace does not access the partition, any lead in this partition will not be visible from the workspace, whatever you do

In your specific case, the combined unique key above should be a solution to all problems.

The other possibility would be to manage this with custom objects. Each lead would have one or many custom objects, one entry for each of you client that may email it. Using this, you would be able to select easily all leads that "belong" to one of your client and prepare an email on the behalf of this client. See Understanding Marketo Custom Objects - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Workspaces/Lead Partitions/Database Fields - Please tell me there's an answer

Greg - thanks so much for your reply.  In your reply: "You could ask Marketo to change the way leads deduplicated to make the key being email address + workspace. This would enable you to create the same lead in multiple workspaces." 

Is that something you simply request of them?  Will they do that?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Duke,

Yes, fill a support ticket.

-Greg

Taylor_McCarty
Level 4

Greg,

Sorry to dredge up such an old post but came across this in doing some research. I am inheriting the Marketo instance with my company, and they currently use a similar set up as you were recommending in this post. We have email address + another field as the unique identifier. This was all set up long before I joined and much of the information surrounding this has been lost with other people leaving. But when I came on board I was told that due to this solution, the Munchkin code should be disabled on all Marketo LPs, and not really used at all on outside pages. Which of course really diminishes the functionality of Marketo, especially lead scoring. What is your experience with this? I did some quick testing and I didn't see any major issue when I added the munchkin code, aside from the fact that the munchkin tracking only tied to the initial record I created, and when I created other records all my web activity still tied back to the first record. Hopefully this all is making sense.

Any help regarding this is greatly appreciated!

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can run separate munchkin code by Workspace.

Taylor_McCarty
Level 4

We are running separate munchkin code per workspace. However the issue is we still have intentional duplicates within the workspace.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But when I came on board I was told that due to this solution, the Munchkin code should be disabled...

That is 100% not true, as you already suspected.

Taylor_McCarty
Level 4

So the munchkin code should still be used, not disabled? Just understood that if/when we have multiple records for the same person, the munchkin code will most likely be appended to the original record?

Sorry just trying to make sure I am 100% understanding, I have to present to the VP regarding this and don't want to be mistaken.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, that's a fine (if perhaps executive-basic!) explanation.