If a person click a link in email which is directed to one webpage into our website,
Will following action capture in his activity log?
1- click link in email activity
2- visited web page
If the link is tracked and you have Munchkin running on the target site, you'll get both types of activity, yes.
Click Link is logged if the link is tracked (the default) because the link is rewritten to bounce off the tracking server.
Visit Web Page is logged by the Munchkin JS library after the person loads the page.
Earlier, I also think the same but after fetching different email campaign reports I got to know that these are two different activities, and backend processes for getting both these activities on Marketo are different.
For Click Activity:
- The links in an email are wrapped by Marketo with a special tracking code.
- When a recipient clicks on one of those links, the Marketo servers are informed about the click, and then the tracking code(mkt_tok=unique code) generated gets attached to the URL.
- Then Click Email event is logged to the recipient's activity log.
For Visit Activity:
Marketo provides a seprate Munchkin Code for non-Marketo web pages and for Marketo web pages Munchkin Code is attached by default.
That Munchkin Code is to do the following on page load:
1. Check to see if the current browser has a Munchkin cookie and create one if it is not there.
2. Send a “Visit Web Page” event to the designated Marketo instance using the information from the current page and browser.
3. This records activity to the corresponding record in Marketo.
So by clicking the link in the email will not capture both, it will capture only click activity.