Why would I use a URL as a token rather than just a hyperlink?

BP_chloecurtis
Level 1

Why would I use a URL as a token rather than just a hyperlink?

Hi all, I recently came across this post of how to use URLs as a token:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/email-marketing/general/using-tok...

Why would I do this rather than just hyperlink the text inside the text editor? What is the benefit? Trying to get my head around a URL problem and wondering if this could be the solution. Thank you.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Why would I use a URL as a token rather than just a hyperlink?

Tokenizing elements (text/URL/rich-text/image) in Marketo helps with scalability. E.g., it's a common practice in Marketo to create cloneable program templates, that could be cloned and updated as per the requirement. While updating the assets, it'd be easier and quicker to make all the updates if the things such as CTA, event name, tactic type, date, time, etc. were tokenized. Also, more often than not, URLs (such as event registration URL) are often used in multiple local assets under a program and if they are added via a token, then you could easily make updates by just updating the token value at one place (i.e., no need to edit each asset individually, this brings in the chance of missing an asset or two if there are too many assets).

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Why would I use a URL as a token rather than just a hyperlink?

No matter how sure you are that domains and pathnames will not change, they do. (In fact my rule of thumb is the more sure someone is that this is their domain forever-and-ever, the more likely it is that they'll be acquired or rebrand!)