Re: White line issues in Email Templates

Jasbir_Kaur
Level 5

White line issues in Email Templates

I've been facing white line issues in some email templates. Initially, the templates work fine, but as we start creating emails, white lines start appearing in certain places across a few emails.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or found a permanent solution? This is consuming a lot of time, and I’m struggling to find a consistent fix.

7 REPLIES 7
Crystal_Pacheco
Level 4

Hi @Jasbir_Kaur ,
Is this an issue appearing in Outlook emails? If so, its a common issue that unfortunately has no solution. Here are the notes I have on the issue:
A White Line Is Appearing Within Emails In Outlook Clients

For the white lines in Outlook, this is a known bug in the email community with no working solution that can be applied to a template.

That line (sometimes these lines) will appear randomly, not all the time, not always at the same place, and it will be worse when dark background colours are used (just because it’s more visible). One trick that sometimes works is playing with the font size and line height in an editable zone near where a line appears.

Sometimes, increasing or decreasing by 1px will eliminate the line. Sometimes, adding a <br> (where it’s possible to do it) can also help.

Doing a little research on the web will give you a list of tricks you can try. But none work on the template level; I spend hundreds of hours trying to find a solution, and nothing works...

When I say it’s not possible to fix it at the template level, it’s because the line will always randomly appear at different places and not all the time. It’s really a bug Microsoft never fixed, and it’s worse in the newer versions.

Jasbir_Kaur
Level 5

Hi @Crystal_Pacheco 

Yes, the issue is appearing in Outlook emails. I’ve also spent a lot of time trying to fix this error, but nothing seems to work. Each time, we apply one fix, but the issue persists, and we have to find another solution.

aandrews
Level 1

I have noticed that some clients have their own idea of what to do with <p> elements, and can tend to add spacing.

I have had more consistent luck using the "Single Line" spacing in the Marketo text editor (which places text in divs), and manually adding blank lines where needed. But YMMV.

Dave_Roberts
Level 10

Could you provide some screenshots of the issue you're seeing here and maybe share out the relevant code for those sections? That'd certainly help to diagnose the issue.

If you've got your Root Block Elements for the Email Rich Text Editor set to "<p>" instead of "none" that could also explain this behavior. Check Admin > Email > Text Editor Settings > Editor Settings to adjust this setting.

Dave_Roberts_0-1726511564371.png

Jasbir_Kaur
Level 5

Hi @Dave_Roberts 

This issue is not related to the Editor Settings, and it does not always occur at the template level. It appears within the email itself and not consistently in the same place.

Jasbir_Kaur_0-1726570282333.png

Crystal_Pacheco
Level 4

@Jasbir_Kaur from the looks of that screenshot you should review your button text's line height. The text getting cut off. It COULD improve the line appearing below, but again, there is no known solution to the phantom line issue.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Jasbir_Kaur ,

there is a lot of sense to what @Crystal_Pacheco  is saying.

mso-line-height-rule:exactly is important for reasons only some developer on the MS Word team knows 🙂 (and yes, I did type that correctly.. WORD!!!!!)

Show us the code around that, and we can probably get a 100% fix in their for you.

Cheers

Jo