Where do leads captured via Wistia video go in Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do leads captured via Wistia video go in Marketo?

We have a number of Wistia-hosted videos embedded on our website and I wanted to see about taking advantage of the Wistia Turnstile feature to capture leads and put them into an existing Smart Campaign in Marketo (basically, ask them if they would like more information via the Wistia form, then route that into our existing "Contact Us" Marketo-based form/campaign/smart list. Wistia's documentation reads: "Inside the Customize screen, find the Turnstile Email Capture options area. Then select the email list (group) you want the email to be added to when viewers submit their email. If you're integrating with HubSpot or Marketo, there's no need to select a list; once enabled, captured emails will go straight into your linked account!" Problem is, I don't know what "list" that would be. Anyone else successfully using Wistia to feed Marketo?

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Where do leads captured via Wistia video go in Marketo?

Hi James,

I'll need to do some more research on this, but it's most likely Wistia is creating the leads in your database via an api call.  This wouldn't necessarily put them in any specific list in Marketo, but you could have a smart list set up to capture leads with a source of "web server api", and that should do it.

The other thing you can do is to fill out the form yourself with a test email, and then search your Marketo database for that email address.  Pay close attention to the New Lead activity in that lead's record, and you'll know how other leads will appear from Wistia.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a test and am currently waiting for my leads to enter the system. It's taking longer than it should. Do you experience lag between form fill and lead creation in Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try this out for size.

Create a smart list with the following:

1. Lead Created filter with constraint source type = web service API

2. Lead Source filter contains = Wistia

Worked for me. You can most likely replicate this with a lead created trigger same rules and do flow actions as you so choose.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Hey Tim - is there a way to do this without depending on lead source? I'm thinking specifically for people who are already in the database, we don't want their lead source to change if they then fill out a form on Wistia and come in that way.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can have a rolling Recent Source field and block the Lead Source from being updated.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Hey Sanford Whiteman​, I'm just revisiting this. How would you build the "recent source" field and populate it if the lead source field is blocked? Meaning, how would I direct the "wistia" source to that field?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I suppose you'd have to map them to Recent Source, and then update Lead Source once and only once. If they need the field they write to be literally called leadSource at the API level, you could change the friendly name.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Got it, thanks!