Re: What's the difference between email link performance and email performance?

Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

What's the difference between email link performance and email performance?

I have two reports: one for email link performance and one for email performance. They're both setup with the same sent date range. On the individual level, the numbers I have for "Clicked Email" in my email performance report is different than the number I have for "People" on my email link performance report. What's the difference between these two numbers? Which one tells me the number of individuals who clicked links in my email?

7 REPLIES 7
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

In Email Performance, Clicked is the number of leads who have clicked at least one link in the email.  Email link performance breaks out the performance for individual links.

Rachel_Noble

Thanks Kenny. Shouldn't the total number of people in the email link performance report match the number in the clicked column of the email performance report?

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Rachel,

One is looking at the number of unique leads that clicked a link, and one is looking at the number of times a link was clicked.  One lead could click a link 10 times, and one column would show 1 while the other showed 10.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

The Leads column grand total in link performance corresponds to the Clicked in Email performance for each email:

• Clicks - Number of total clicks which have been made on the link
  • Leads – Number of unique leads which have clicked on the link
Rachel_Noble

Thanks. I can see the difference between those two columns. This is what I'm looking at for one specific email, grouped by the same timeframe:

Email Performance Report:

Clicked: 19

Email Link Performance Report:

Total Clicks: 29

Total People: 22

Does the email performance report not report everybody?

Rachel_Noble

I think we figured it out. We think: the "Total People" column sums up the clicks from the unique people from each link. If we have three links in the email, it might look something like this:

link 1      |      clicks: 22     |      people: 16

link 2      |      clicks: 5       |      people: 4

link 3      |      clicks: 2       |      people: 2

Total      |      clicks: 29     |      people: 22

However, there weren't 22 total unique visitors. Maybe 3 of the people who clicked link 1 also clicked link 2. The total is then displaying more people than there were actual unique leads that clicked the links.

I don't have any verification on this (I will spot test eventually if I don't get confirmation, but it's not worth the time right now).

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10