Re: What is the best way to share Marketo activity with Sales in MS Dynamics?

Jennifer_Braath
Level 2

What is the best way to share Marketo activity with Sales in MS Dynamics?

Sales wants to see Marketo lead  engagement in campaigns on the synced lead record in MS Dynamics.

Do you have do this by creating individual fields to sync or is there a better way to do this.  Ideally the data would append and not overwrite as sales would like to see all of the marketing activity over time and not just the most recent activity.

Suggestions appreciated!!

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Campaigns, Tasks, Sales Insight...

Fields would be last since it would overwrite.

Jennifer_Braath
Level 2

Thanks Josh.

I understood that Marketo didn't sync with CRM campaigns. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks

Josh_Hill13

I'm not sure about MS Dynamics, however, it certainly syncs with SFDC Campaigns.

Dan_Stevens_

Hi Jennifer - MSI is really your best option at this point. The MS Dynamics sync doesn't offer the same capabilities as the SFDC sync (you can't sync to the campaign object, create tasks, etc.).

Here's an idea to vote on:

Dave_Cunningham
Level 4

Dan is right. The Marketo/Dynamics sync has a big weakness in that MSI is the only way to expose lead's Marketo activity in Dynamics. We would love to be able to sync the individual activities back to Dynamics (email clicks, event attends, web page views, etc.) so that they can be both viewed on the contact record and queried in aggregate, but have not found a native way to do this. We have customizations in place to capture some of this, but it's a bit messy as customizations tend to be.

Veronica_Holme4

Hi Jennifer - OK, first question - are you using Marketo Sales Insight? This is the usual method. If you are using it and it isn't meeting the requirements you have, could you give us some details on what you want to pass across that it doesn't do? Your request seems specifically what MSI is used for. Interesting Moments can be used in creative ways to pass across information sales are usually after.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

We have had a project in which we implemented the following process:

• A long text field was created in MSD and sync'ed to Marketo
  • Each time a specific activity (e.g. a form fill out) would occur, we would add it to the long text field, in a json format, cumulative to all previous activities in the field (limit is 32k for the field length)
  • In MSD, on sync, the field would be updated, with all the new values and the previous ones. A workflow would then fire and generated custom records or MSD campaign member records.

This is the closest we could have it to mimic the capabilities of the SFDC connector.

-Greg

Paul_Wilson8
Level 4

Great approach Grégoire Michel​!

Would you be willing to share the recipe for the MSD plugin with the DCRM MUG?

Thanks!

PW

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Paul,

I would love to, but I cannot. I wrote the specs, but my team did not implement it, the customer's SI did, and I do not have access

-Greg