SOLVED

What happens if there are 2 campaigns with the trigger "Person is Created" and one of the of the campaigns Deletes the lead under a specific circumstance?

Go to solution
Nancy_Rosentha4
Level 2

What happens if there are 2 campaigns with the trigger "Person is Created" and one of the of the campaigns Deletes the lead under a specific circumstance?

I am recreating our lead flow process in Marketo, and I have been asked to "delete" the person who is newly created who has only unsubscribed, i.e. that is the only interaction/engagement (for some reason we are getting numerous entries such as these and they are not even worthwhile putting in our database, at least not to my management).  So, in one campaign, I am going to check for this scenario after using the trigger, Person is Created, then Delete Person if they have only filled out "unsubscribed" form.  But, at the same time, I have another campaign also with the trigger, Person is Created, then I want to go through the rest of the processing, which I am assuming I should do after a wait step.  Another alternative, is to put these steps all in one campaign, but my concern with putting these Flows all in the same Campaign is that I don't know what will happen with the processing if the lead is deleted?  Does it just fall apart/skip the rest of the processing, not able to process, since the lead no longer exists?  Scratching my head on how best to construct this.  Any creative ideas are greatly appreciated.

Nancy Rosenthal
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: What happens if there are 2 campaigns with the trigger "Person is Created" and one of the of the campaigns Deletes the lead under a specific circumstance?

Well, first, you shouldn't be allowing people to be created by your Unsubscribe form — if that's what you mean.

If the pageview isn't associated with a known lead when they view the Unsubscribe form (i.e. they haven't clicked a tracked Unsubscribe link) then they shouldn't be allowed to fill out that form. Do this by checking to see if the token {{lead.Email Address}} is empty, if it is, you can show them an alternate form that they can fill in and then get an email to confirm their identity. 

But if this is too difficult to do quickly, you can at least constrain the Person is Created by the Form Name.

If the Form Name is the Unsubscribe form, you can delete them immediately.

If the Form Name is anything other than the Unsubscribe form, you can put them through the typical lifecycle flows.

Thus with 2 Smart Campaigns it's impossible for them to conflict with one another.

You don't want to use a Wait step here.

P.S. The other way way someone can be created via the action of unsubscribing is by clicking the button in their email client that sends to the List-Unsubscribe address. This is easy enough to detect.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: What happens if there are 2 campaigns with the trigger "Person is Created" and one of the of the campaigns Deletes the lead under a specific circumstance?

Well, first, you shouldn't be allowing people to be created by your Unsubscribe form — if that's what you mean.

If the pageview isn't associated with a known lead when they view the Unsubscribe form (i.e. they haven't clicked a tracked Unsubscribe link) then they shouldn't be allowed to fill out that form. Do this by checking to see if the token {{lead.Email Address}} is empty, if it is, you can show them an alternate form that they can fill in and then get an email to confirm their identity. 

But if this is too difficult to do quickly, you can at least constrain the Person is Created by the Form Name.

If the Form Name is the Unsubscribe form, you can delete them immediately.

If the Form Name is anything other than the Unsubscribe form, you can put them through the typical lifecycle flows.

Thus with 2 Smart Campaigns it's impossible for them to conflict with one another.

You don't want to use a Wait step here.

P.S. The other way way someone can be created via the action of unsubscribing is by clicking the button in their email client that sends to the List-Unsubscribe address. This is easy enough to detect.

Nancy_Rosentha4
Level 2

Thanks Stanford.  Yes, I totally agree, our unsubscribe should not be creating a new lead.  this has to be addressed, but in the meantime, i have implemented a solution just as you had suggested.  

Nancy Rosenthal