WHat are the pros and cons of using tokens?

Anonymous
Not applicable

WHat are the pros and cons of using tokens?

What are the pros and cons of usings tokens? Several of us use Marketo for various programs and tactics, and want to understand when we should be using tokens and why?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WHat are the pros and cons of using tokens?

Sure,

I use tokens on anything that I'd be sending out multiple times. A great example of this would be marketing for a Event (Trade show, Webinar, etc...) General invite flow is the same but Titles, Links, Locations, and Buttons may be different.

So instead of recreating the wheal several times you can just clone the program, Update the tokens (without having to edit the emails) and waaala

So your email may look something like this

Hey {{FirstName}}

I would like to invite you to our {{Event Name}} hosted at {{Event Location}} on {{Event Date}}.

All the best,

{{FromName}}
{{FromEmail}}
{{ProfilePhoto}}

You could see how this would be perfect for several events. Banners, buttons, just about anything can be updated to use a token1

The down sides? Well, You have to first, set it up so it's scalable. And second you have to remember to update the tokens in the right areas. It's really not that much work once you get the hand of it and it's a HUGE time saver.

Hope that helps

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There is a great video on this from this year's summit as well. It's from Jeff Shearer and Adam New-Waterson.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

I had team members who were not familiar with HTML, so I have tokenized whole emails and landing pages to take any unintentional potential design changes. It was mainly for our emails we send out weekly which had 11 variations . So this also saved time by eliminating approval and unapproval process of the assets.