SOLVED

Re: Weird cookie behaviour

Go to solution
OpenCorp_Admin
Level 1

Weird cookie behaviour

Hoping someone can shed light on this weird cookie behaviour where lead record A clicks link in email but lead record B logs the visited webpage. Additional info: Lead ID 476512 already existed in database, lead ID 606533 was newly created. Activity occurred on iPhone.

I've summarised the logs of the two leads into one.

TimeLead IDActivity
19/09/2018 13:14606533filled out form and created
19/09/2018 13:14606533sent confirm email
19/09/2018 15:54606533clicked link
19/09/2018 15:54476512visited webpage
19/09/2018 16:01606533clicked link
19/09/2018 15:54476512visited webpage

Screenshots below as well:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_12.png

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Couldn’t they have filled  the form but then clicked the email/visit the page from their phone? If the phone was previously cookied it would keep the association...?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's not necessarily weird at all.

If the session is already associated with Lead B, then clicking a tracked link -- even a mkt_tok-​enized tracked link -- sent to Lead A will not reassociate the session.

OpenCorp_Admin
Level 1

So I tried recreating the scenario but I couldn't.

I filled out a form as Person A first to associate the browser with Person A

In the same browser, I filled out another form that triggers an email as Person B.

In the same browser, I click on the link in the email sent to Person B

The landing page shows information of Person B.

And this should be expected, that Person B is the last one to fill out a form so the cookie should be associated with Person B

What I'm seeing in those logs, and what I've been told, was that Person B clicks the link in email, but Person A's information showed up pre-filled on the landing page.

SanfordWhiteman

In your test, there are 2 forms filled out.

If there in reality was only 1 form filled out, the original association from that form will remain. That would be expected, non-weird behavior.

was that Person B clicks the link in email, but Person A's information showed up pre-filled on the landing page.

Depends on how Pre-Fill is being done. In the default setup this will not happen because the Pre-Fill will be drawn from the currently associated lead. In advanced scenarios the Pre-Fill may deliberately be overwritten via information in the URL.

OpenCorp_Admin
Level 1

Prefill is default Marketo landing page form prefill

If there in reality was only 1 form filled out, the original association from that form will remain. That would be expected, non-weird behavior.

"1 form filled out" - are referring to what was filled out by the already existent lead. However, the newer lead was created by filling out a form as well... So regardless what the case is, the newer lead filling out the form should have overwritten any previous cookie.

SanfordWhiteman

the newer lead filling out the form should have overwritten any previous cookie.

Not "overwritten the cookie" but "changed the lead association for the existing cookie" is the way I would put it. Note this change is not instantaneous, but typically completes in under a few seconds. Because it is asynchronous there is no guarantee that it will be complete by the very next pageview.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Couldn’t they have filled  the form but then clicked the email/visit the page from their phone? If the phone was previously cookied it would keep the association...?

OpenCorp_Admin
Level 1

This is something I'd have to test and find out.

OpenCorp_Admin
Level 1

As tested this was found to be the case