SOLVED

Re: Webhook to Populate Marketo fields

Go to solution
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Webhook to Populate Marketo fields

Hi all,

We are looking to populate a set of fields in marketo all at once and use a webhook to do so.  Below is an example of what we are trying to accomplish:

Country = Country Middle Man

State = State Middle Man

City = City Middle Man

Postal Code = Postal Code Middle Man

Address = Address Middle Man

I am struggling on figuring out how to set it up.  (I am new to webhooks).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Sure, that additional boolean condition is what I was going to suggest. Checking the SL membership only once is also easier on your resources.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

Are there any conditions or transformations involved? Just setting a field to the value of another field can be done natively in a flow, so can you explain the relationship between the in/out data more?

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Hi Sanford,

No conditions or transformations I believe.  Just simply setting a field to the value of another field but I need to have it occur all at once.  We are going to be using these "middle man" fields in our web forms moving forward.  Basically what we are trying to do is if someone has no address information upon a form fill out (I have a smart list to identify these people), then populate the standard geographic fields with that same data but it needs to happen all at once and before it gets synced to salesforce. 

I originally had in the flow

1. Change Data Value

IF member of smart list HAS NO ADDRESS INFORMATION then populate Country with {{lead.Country Middle Man}}

2. Change Data Value

IF member of smart list HAS NO ADDRESS INFORMATION then populate State with {{lead.State Middle Man}}

etc

but flow step 1 will remove it from the HAS NO ADDRESS INFORMATION smart list and therefore will skip flow step 2 above so I thought a webhook would be a good solution.

Thoughts?

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

I suppose I could create a custom Boolean field called Has No Address Information and then do something like the below as my flow instead of a webhook:

Fills out form trigger

Flow:

1. Change Data Value
    1. IF member of smart list Has No Address Information THEN populate Has No Address Information field with true
  2. Change Data Value
    1. IF Has No Address Information = true then populate Country with {{lead.Country Middle Man}}
  3. Change Data Value
    1. IF Has No Address Information = true then populate State with {{lead.State Middle Man}}
  4. Change Data Value
    1. IF Has No Address Information = true then populate City with {{lead.City Middle Man}}
  5. Change Data Value
    1. IF Has No Address Information = true then populate Postal Code with {{lead.Postal Code Middle Man}}
  6. Change Data Value
    1. IF Has No Address Information = true then populate Address with {{lead.Address Middle Man}}
  7. Change Data Value
    1. Has No Address Information = false

Any negative thoughts on that?

SanfordWhiteman

Sure, that additional boolean condition is what I was going to suggest. Checking the SL membership only once is also easier on your resources.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Guys,

Better use a static list rather than an additional field (that you will not be able to discard when you will no longer need it). On the first flow step, add the list to the static list, then on the following flow steps, test membership of the static list. Finally, at the end of the flow, add a "Remove from list" flow step to remove the lead from the static list.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Why would the ​Has No Address Information field become obsolete, though? This would be an ongoing process.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The field might be needed now, but not in 2 years from now when the process has changed

And I have a policy to keep the schema under control: never use a field if you can make it with a static list.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

I understand your policy, but don't see any reason to expect that the process of using proxy fields would go away, since it's what more people should be doing (most users have no idea how easily their production data can be clobbered). Any step back from that would be a regression for the instance IMO and people deserve to be punished by having an extra field!