SOLVED

Re: Web page visit trigger based on lead token value

Go to solution
Ilana_Guilfoyle
Level 2

Web page visit trigger based on lead token value

I'm trying to create a smart campaign that is triggered when a lead visits a web site for the first time. The issue is that each lead has a unique url associated with their record.

For some reason this does not work:

trigger-bad.png

But this does, as long as the lead's pTenant URl = daqi.jamacloud.com

trigger-works.png

Without the ability to use wildcards (example: *.jamacloud.com), this is the only other conceivable way I can trigger this campaign, and i am at a loss.

Any help is much appreciated.

Note: I also tried using "contains" with jamacloud.com (the only constant in this equation), but that does not seem to work either, does anyone know the rules associated with "contains", can it be anywhere in the url with values before and after it, because that doesn't seem to be the case.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Ilana,

A token cannot work in a trigger this way because tokens depend on knowing who a lead is in order to populate.  The trigger wouldn't be able to fire because there wouldn't be any leads associated with it until it fired, and it can't do that until it has a lead associated with it, etc etc.

John

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A contains trigger should work fine for a parent domain match.  Works for me.  I wish we had ​more ​control over what it would match, in fact.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Ilana,

A token cannot work in a trigger this way because tokens depend on knowing who a lead is in order to populate.  The trigger wouldn't be able to fire because there wouldn't be any leads associated with it until it fired, and it can't do that until it has a lead associated with it, etc etc.

John

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

John Clark​ A very sensible explanation of why triggers won't work in tokens! Now I know.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Ilana Mullin

Interesting problem.

I believe tokens will not work in this trigger -- or any trigger for that matter.

Use Tokens in Flow Steps - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

I am surprised that a "contains" trigger with part of the URL string is not working though. I'm pretty sure I've done this so I'd take that one up with support.