SOLVED

visited/not visited web page filter issues

Go to solution
Hoppers13
Level 4

visited/not visited web page filter issues

hi all, whenever I attempt to use these types of filters, I always encounter the same issue. of course this isnt my url below but just to give you an idea, i input a valid url string here from our website and it chucks up an error when i go to schedule the campaign.
please can someone help? am i doing something wrong? does it need to be a marketo url here/landing page?

Hoppers13_0-1705500777005.jpeg

ta, Mike 🙂

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: visited/not visited web page filter issues

There's a long history of confusion around this topic. 🙂

No, it doesn't need to be a Marketo page. If it's one, use "Web Page equals LP Name" in your filter.

For non-Marketo pages, you might need to omit the https://. AND: You will need at least one web site visit of that page in Marketo's activity database so Marketo can index it. Send yourself an email with a link to that page, click that link, see how _exactly_ your web site visit is tracked by Marketo and then set your filter accordingly.

There is also a faction of users that advocates for using the "contains"-operator only, but I don't belong to that faction.

View solution in original post

Arturo_Olivares
Level 2

Hi @Hoppers13,

I used to have the same problem, It's important to mention that the munchkin code should be installed on your website, that said, I suggest you remove the "https://" value from the link, and use www.yourdomain.com

if it still shows the warning error, please refresh your browser.

Regards!

Arturo. 

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well, this is probably because Marketo cannot find any lead activity with that respective URL (Webpage value) and hence it's showing an error (of course, remove the protocol, as others have mentioned in their comments above). To ensure the non-Marketo landing page URL will appear in Smart List's filters:

1. Ensure the Marketo Munchkin tracking code is implemented and placed within the non-Marketo web pages.
  2. The non-Marketo URLs would show in the filter if a known lead or person had visited the web page and tracked it into the activity log. Therefore, make a lead or person visit the webpage to allow Marketo to track and log that URL visit.

In Marketo, the Visits Web Page activity defines "Web Page" as the original hostname + pathname + hash, but not the protocol nor the query string.

For everyone's reference, here's the link to Sandy's comment where he explains this along with all the components of a URL in detail.

3 REPLIES 3
Michael_Florin
Level 10

There's a long history of confusion around this topic. 🙂

No, it doesn't need to be a Marketo page. If it's one, use "Web Page equals LP Name" in your filter.

For non-Marketo pages, you might need to omit the https://. AND: You will need at least one web site visit of that page in Marketo's activity database so Marketo can index it. Send yourself an email with a link to that page, click that link, see how _exactly_ your web site visit is tracked by Marketo and then set your filter accordingly.

There is also a faction of users that advocates for using the "contains"-operator only, but I don't belong to that faction.

Arturo_Olivares
Level 2

Hi @Hoppers13,

I used to have the same problem, It's important to mention that the munchkin code should be installed on your website, that said, I suggest you remove the "https://" value from the link, and use www.yourdomain.com

if it still shows the warning error, please refresh your browser.

Regards!

Arturo. 

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well, this is probably because Marketo cannot find any lead activity with that respective URL (Webpage value) and hence it's showing an error (of course, remove the protocol, as others have mentioned in their comments above). To ensure the non-Marketo landing page URL will appear in Smart List's filters:

1. Ensure the Marketo Munchkin tracking code is implemented and placed within the non-Marketo web pages.
  2. The non-Marketo URLs would show in the filter if a known lead or person had visited the web page and tracked it into the activity log. Therefore, make a lead or person visit the webpage to allow Marketo to track and log that URL visit.

In Marketo, the Visits Web Page activity defines "Web Page" as the original hostname + pathname + hash, but not the protocol nor the query string.

For everyone's reference, here's the link to Sandy's comment where he explains this along with all the components of a URL in detail.