Re: Viewing UTM submission values on a report

Michael_Oslin
Level 3

Viewing UTM submission values on a report

Hello,

I'm trying to create a report where I can see all the utm values submitted so I can analyze which campaign/sources/term/etc are performing best.

I can currently see the values if I create a smart list, but it doesn't compile historical information.

So each time someone submits a form it overwrites the previous values.

Is there a report or another way to capture the historical changes?

Thank you-UTMcapture.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Michael, Marketo doesn't automatically maintain a historical record of the UTM touchpoints -- a fact that is commonly misunderstood.

You can view the raw inbound data by looking at a lead's Activity Log for the each Filled Out Form detail, but that isn't workable across leads.

You might get more from my comments on this thread from the other day (be sure to search the Community for other related threads).  In a nutshell, you can create a history field to record those UTM touches that make it to Marketo, and use a helper app (that is, JavaScript library) to ensure that anonymous hits are among those touches.

MP CA

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

This idea is exactly about this limitation:

-Greg

Michael_Oslin
Level 3

Thank you both-

I think we'll try to gather/compile historical data by passing it into a Custom Data object.

Hopefully that will get us what we need.

We're just trying to understand which campaigns are attracting the most conversions.

Thank you again!

SanfordWhiteman

You mean a Custom Marketo Object? I'd be very careful with this approach. You will very easily create a a DoS vulnerability against your instance if you create a CO for every touch. Also, reporting on fields within a CO is going to be extremely difficult.

I recommend using a standard Marketo field. A textarea field can hold a JSON array of touches, and such a field can also be ingested by BI tools et al.

Michael_Oslin
Level 3

Sanford,

Yes, a custom Marketo object. I thought about designing the CO to where it only captures IF there is a utm value in the URL.

We bring that value when people submit forms. Is your apprehension because of bogging down the CPU every time someone submits a form? Hence creating a bottleneck.

Would it help that we do not process a huge amount of forms? Probably 100 max a day. Realistically more like 50 a day.

I'll look into your JSON suggestion as a workaround. Do you have suggestions on specific research forums/discussion topics?

thank you-

SanfordWhiteman

We bring that value when people submit forms. Is your apprehension because of bogging down the CPU every time someone submits a form? Hence creating a bottleneck.

Nope, it's because you have a very low # of API calls per day and and even a newbie hacker knows how to send spurious requests. The limit is so low that you could shut down service over a 2G connection in a half-hour or so. As a rule, you should not to use an API call in response to untrusted user action (and anonymous web visits are the def'n of untrusted!).

Given CO limitations, the JSON history field is like a rich man's custom object.  The concept is that you assemble a JSON array of objects (you can do this in a Marketo flow or with the help of external tools). If you search the last year of Community posts for "JSON"  I think the lion's share of the results have notes from yours truly.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why can't we use my FT/LT paired field method to pass values to an SFDC Member Object?

SanfordWhiteman

You can! Workflow could be used to track all the touches to Member objects. I don't think it's a mutually exclusive approach. What I like about the touch-path JSON is that I can read it in Velocity or in a BI tool and the whole path is laid out for me.