SOLVED

${variables} in Text Version of Email

Go to solution
Anne_Sample
Level 2

${variables} in Text Version of Email

Hey there!

We are running into an issue with Email Editor 2.0 and I'm hoping someone has a quick fix. One of the modules in our template is a button, which uses meta tags (that is, ${variables}) for both the text of the button, and the URL (including UTMs) it links to. The code is as follows:

<table style="margin: 0 auto; border-collapse: collapse;" width="${Button-Width}" align="${Button-Position}" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="margin:0 auto;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="background-color: ${Button-Color}; border:1px solid ${Button-Border};border-radius:${Button-Radius};font-family:${TextFontFamily}; font-size: 16px; mso-line-height-rule: exactly; line-height:22px ; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle; color: ${Button-Text-Color}; display: block; padding:9px 40px 8px;" valign="middle">
<a style="text-decoration: none; color: ${Button-Text-Color} !important;outline: none;" href="${Button-Link}${Button-Query}">
<span style="color:${Button-Text-Color};">${Button-Text}</span>
</a>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

The problem that I'm running into is that the meta tags don't work in the text version of the email, so I end up with the actual output ${Button-Text} <http://${Button-Link}${Button-Query}/>  instead of outputs of the meta tags in the text email.

Is there any way to fix this without having to manually edit the text version of each email? Barring that, is there a way to hide the module completely? I read the discussion here: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Product-Discussions/Email-Scripting-and-Text-Only/m-p/192797#M139565 but can't use a token for the value as we may have multiple buttons with different links in a single email.

Anne Sample
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: ${variables} in Text Version of Email

There isn't a one-stop workaround for this gap in functionality w/variables.

I'm glad to hear you care about the Text version (many more people should!) but you'll need to build that part separately.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: ${variables} in Text Version of Email

There isn't a one-stop workaround for this gap in functionality w/variables.

I'm glad to hear you care about the Text version (many more people should!) but you'll need to build that part separately.